The University of Bonn invites applications for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates in Universities in the Global South in 2021.
The aim of this program is to provide funding for doctoral candidates from countries in the Global South. This is in order to promote scientific exchange with partners, particularly in regions that have been relatively marginalized in terms of scientific production.
The University of Bonn seeks to promote international cooperation in the priority regions indicated in the partnership strategy. This is why it is especially calling on doctoral candidates from Africa, South America and Asia to participate.
Worth of Award
In view of this, the funding can cover the following:
- travel allowance (depending on country of origin).
- scholarship of € 1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to € 300 for a spouse and € 250 per child).
- research expense allowance of up to € 300 per month that can be submitted to the International Office after the scholarship has been awarded. Rest assured, information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your scholarship award.
- Kindly note that the funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months.
- Understand that insurance benefits are not included in the scholarship.
- Equally note that the International Office cannot provide housing for scholarship recipients.
In order to be eligible for the Argelander Scholarships for Doctoral Candidates, preference will be given to
- quality of the research project to be pursued as part of the doctoral studies during the candidate’s stay in Bonn.
- intensity of the existing cooperation or its potential for future growth between the applicant and the home institution.
- integration of the doctoral candidate into an existing research environment in Bonn (e.g. integration into a BIGS workgroup, etc.; use of a workplace, etc).
- effective supervision blueprint under the cooperation agreement.
- It is very important to note that preference is given to doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia.
- Expectedly, recipients of funding should finish their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
- Likewise, in view of this, doctoral candidates who are already pursuing their PhD at the university are not eligible for funding.
How to Apply
While sending in your applications, ensure that you submit A/An
- online form
- project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during your stay in Bonn.
- Reasons for the host to invite you as the candidate.
- An outline of how you will be integrated at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project will be supervised in Bonn.
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan
Deadline: May 31, 2021 (for funding starting at the earliest in January 2022, and no later than July 2022)