ReSurge International and the College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa invite applications for the ReSurge COSECSA Short Term Exchange Programme in Tanzania in 2021.
The COSECSA collaboration is for a short term (1-month) Exchange Programme for trainees. These trainees are currently undertaking training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery who wish to gain experience at another COSECSA accredited hospital within the ECSA Region. However, a maximum of 3 Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Trainees will be supported in the period May – December 2021.
The aim of the programme is to educate early-career reconstructive surgeons (FCS Trainees) to provide essential reconstructive surgical care. It also seeks to promote the exchange of knowledge and surgical skills among trainees.
To do this successfully, it operates on the following objectives:
- create equity of training in specific surgical specialities.
- promote the exchange of surgical leadership and management skills
- improve access to surgery in the specific surgical disciplines.
- improve the quality of training provided to the trainees in the COSECSA region.
- increase networking among the selected trainees and institutions.
Worth of Award
It would interest you to know that the training will be conducted in another country at a COSECSA accredited Hospital/Training Site and will cover expenses towards:
As a matter of fact, the following hospitals are accredited for plastic surgery training:
- AIC Kijabe, including AIC-CURE International Children’s Hospital, Kenya
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services in Uganda (CoRSU), Uganda
- Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH), Malawi
- University Teaching Hospital of Kigali (CHUK), Rwanda
- Mulago Hospital, Uganda
- Parirenyatwa Hospital, Zimbabwe
- University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka (UTH), Zambia
- Yekatit 12 Hospital, Ethiopia
- ALERT Hospital, Ethiopia
- Rwanda Military Hospital, Rwanda
- Soba University Hospital, Sudan
- Khartoum Teaching Hospital, Sudan
- Omdurman Teaching Hospital, Sudan
Only plastic surgery trainees who have not yet received COSECSA exchange programme scholarships are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
By way of application, applicants should
- include a personal statement indicating expected results or outcome, a current CV and a letter of support from the surgical training Programme Director of the current accredited hospital.
- indicate in the cover letter the preferred hospital of training.
- send the completed application to the COSECSA scholarship committee through the following email: [email protected]
The ReSurge COSECSA Short Term Exchange Programme is only for FCS plastic surgery level trainees.
Thus, the applicant must have applied for the 1-month exchange and been accepted in a hospital accredited for training in plastic surgery by COSECSA.
In a similar vein, it is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure a training post is available.
Yet again, a work permit should be obtained from the host country before applying.
Deadline: The deadline for applications is March 30th, 2021. Successful applicants will be notified within 2 weeks of the submission date.