The Generation Equality Forum convened by UN Women is currently inviting applications for the Generation Equality Film Festival in the USA in 2021.
The Generation Equality Film Festival will take place during the Generation Equality Forum which is a global gathering for gender equality. This forum is convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, with the partnership of civil society.
Expectedly, the forum will secure a set of transformative commitments for gender equality. It will give voice to the works of creative storytellers to visualize their belief in women’s rights and activism.
Worth of Award
As a result, the winner of each category will receive a cash prize of 1,000 USD.
So, in order to be eligible for this contest, entrants must be
- to-the-point: Films must not exceed 3 minutes of running time, including credits.
- original: Only original works that have not been presented to other festivals.
- under 30: Professional and non-professional filmmakers and storytellers of all genders ages 18-30 years old are invited to submit works.
- action-oriented: Films should capture stories about taking action to change realities, hearts and minds, for a gender-equal generation.
- creative and diverse: any film type is accepted, fiction, nonfiction or documentary, experimental videos, animation, and more.
As a matter of fact, a creative spirit that reflects youth activism – diversity, inclusiveness, and originality is strongly encouraged. However, it is pertinent to note that when applying, filmmakers must choose one category:
- Feminist movements and Leadership;
- Economic Justice and Rights; or Women,
- Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action.
As part of the Technical requirements, it is important to note that
- Videos submitted must be a final, edited product; sound-mixed, color-graded and optimized for online streaming. Rough cuts are not accepted.
- Films can be submitted in any language. However, all non-English dialogue must include English subtitles, and all titles and/or motion graphics must also be in English. Or have an English translation on-screen, at the time of submission.
- In a similar vein, a transcript of the dialogue in English must accompany the project. This is because transcripts will be used by the Festival for captioning in other languages in case the film is shortlisted.
- While the festival will be responsible for translating into other languages, submissions must be sent in full HD.
How to Apply
- By way of application, you can submit one video only to the film festival for consideration through the online platform on FilmFreeway.
- But, take note that the content of all submissions must address gender equality and women’s empowerment issues.
Deadline: Finally, note that the period for submissions is from February 12, 2021, through March 12, 2021, at midnight EST.