In collaboration with Solano Publications Ltd., applications are currently open for the Kendeka Prize for African Literature in Kenya in 2023.
The main objective, aim, vision and mission of the Prize is to nurture new and existing writers from the African Continent and the Diaspora by creating a platform for Africans. A platform to tell their stories not only on the Continent but to reach wider audiences around the world. The Prize encourages upcoming writers to write on issues affecting Africa from an African perspective thereby amplifying African voices worldwide.
Worth of Award
In light of this, the
- first prize will be Kshs. 100,000,
- while the 2nd prize shall be Kshs. 50,000 and
- the 3rd Prize Kshs. 25,000 respectively.
- Entrants must be born in, or are citizens of any African country.
- One entry per writer.
- Entrants agree that the prize organizers may publicize the fact that a story has been entered, longlisted, shortlisted or won the prize.
- An author of a long-listed story agrees to its inclusion in the anthology, and to work with editors to get the story ready for publication.
- The winners, first and second runners-up in the past Kendeka Prize, are not eligible.
- Every author confirms that the submission is their original work, it has not been published anywhere else. Also, it has not been long-listed in this prize or in any other prize.
- The entrant gives exclusive global print and digital rights to Solano Publications Ltd for the long-listed stories for publication in an anthology.
How to Apply
- Manuscripts should be between 3000 and 5000 words.
- All entries must be in English.
- Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text format, with the title of the story as the file name.
- The first page of the story should include the title of the story and the number of words.
- The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1.5 line spacing.
- The email to which the story is attached must include the legal name of the writer, telephone number, a short Bio, age, and country of residence.
Deadline: Kendeka Prize for African Literature is accepting entries till May 15th, 2023 for its 2023 edition.
Click here for more details and to apply
Entries must be sent as attachments to [email protected]