The Centre of African Studies, University of Edinburgh UK is currently accepting applications for the Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships for the 2023/2024 academic year.
This scholarship has been designed to offer a combined package. The aim is to enable those who may not feel they have sufficient research experience to embark on a PhD to get that grounding with an MSc.
The MSc year helps build a bridge between undergraduate studies and the PhD. It is hoped that the combined package of support encourages some who may not have thought a PhD was in reach to re-consider. A key goal of the scholarship is to diversify the scholars from the African continent. These are scholars who contribute original and important research to African Studies.
Worth of Award
- This scholarship will cover full fees as well as an annual stipend of £15,840 during the one-year MSc. It will also cover the subsequent three years of PhD study or the four years of PhD study.
- Similarly, upfront support of £4,000 will be provided to help cover UK visa application costs plus travel costs to Edinburgh. It will also cover any other costs incurred by the awardee before arriving in Edinburgh.
- Identify as women, including cis and trans people and non-binary or gender fluid people who identify in a significant way as women or female. They are expected to be domiciled in an African country normally.
- have received an excellent undergraduate degree (minimum of a high 2.1) in the social sciences from an accredited university in Africa. (a Masters’s degree achieved with distinction will be an advantage for those wishing to go directly into a PhD).
- not have previously received a degree from a university outside Africa (with the exception of current or former students of the University of Edinburgh).
Furthermore, applicants must
- demonstrate commitment to studying for a PhD in African Studies.
- demonstrate leadership potential (broadly defined), and intention to maximize the impact of their research.
- have submitted an application to study for the MSc in Africa and International Development and/or the PhD in African Studies. These applications should be submitted at the University of Edinburgh by April 15, 2022.
If you are interested and meet all of the above, please submit:
- summary of your research proposal (maximum 2 pages).
- cover letter indicating your motivations and future plans (maximum 1 page).
- academic CV, clearly showing the class of degree and previous educational achievements (maximum 2 pages).
- letter of reference from an academic familiar with your work.
The PDF document must be named as follows: First Name Surname_CATTO APPLICATION_2022
Example: Idia Asante_CATTO APPLICATION_2022
All applications must use the email subject line: CATTO SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION 2023
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf document to [email protected]
Deadline: Applications for the Catto Combined MSc and PhD Scholarships close at 12:00 Noon GMT, 30 April 2023.