Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO invite young people around the globe to enter for the GOI Peace Essay Competition 2014. The international essay competition also call UNESCO Essay Competition 2014 has youth and children categories, and is open to people from around the world
Essay Topic: “My Role as a Citizen of Earth.” In the vast universe, we were born on this planet called Earth, where various cultures and ethnicities, all living things, and all of nature exist together. However, in our world today, we face numerous problems–environmental destruction, resource depletion, wars and conflicts, poverty, and many more–that make our future uncertain. Given this situation, what do you think is the best way forward for humanity? How do you wish to fulfill your role as a citizen of Earth?
Worth of award
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- First prize-Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$950 as of January 2014). 1st entrant
- Second prize-Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$475 as of January 2014), 2 entrant.
- Third prize-Certificate and gift-5 entrants
Honorable mention- Certificate and gift, 25 entrants.
- 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for December 2014. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
- All prize winners will be announced in November 2014 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp) and UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/youth). Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in November 2014.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed
- Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
How to Apply
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online
- IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at www.goipeace.or.jp and follow the required steps
- Essays must be original and unpublished
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers
Deadline: Entries must be received by June 15, 2014