Applications are currently being accepted for the TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences (Individuals) in Italy 2021.
TWAS Research Grants are awarded to high-level promising research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics carried out by individual scientists in the S&T-lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS.
It was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities.
Worth of Award
- Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15,000.
- The grants, which are normally provided for a period of 24 months, may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). They do not cover the salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, or travel expenses. In addition, the purchase of laptops, tablets, drones and laboratory animals is not supported.
In order to be eligible for the TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences, applicants must
- Be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- At the time of application, NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Women scientists and those working in the least developed countries are especially encouraged.
- Submit a strong Research Proposal.
- Individual scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes.
- One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
How to Apply
- TWAS Research Grant applications can ONLY be submitted online.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant. (either as an individual applicant, as a research unit, IsDB or the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship).
- Applicants cannot apply for other TWAS programmes i.e. Postdoctoral, Visiting Scholar and Visiting Researcher programme within the same year in order to be present in their home country throughout the duration of the grant.
Deadline: The deadline for receiving applications is April 14, 2021. It is strongly recommended that you do not wait until the deadline. Rather, submit the application as early as you can to enable processing to be done as quickly as possible.