Alexander von Humboldt Foundation invites applications for the Research Fellowship for Postdocs and experienced Scientists in 2021/22 academic session.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship for researchers of all nations and subject areas: We support you – postdocs and experienced scientists – in your research projects in Germany.
With the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation supports above-average qualified researchers from all over the world. As a scholarship holder, you can benefit from the individual support provided by the Humboldt Foundation and our diverse support services.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship enables you to carry out your personal research project at various stages of your career – in cooperation with hosts from a research institution of your choice in Germany. The hosts can apply for a research grant.
Worth of Award
- Use the research funding in Germany to successfully start your scientific career. With the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdocs, you can realize your research project in Germany.
- The monthly grant is 2,670 euros. It can be applied for for a period between 6 and 24 months.
- Even if you have already made further progress in your academic career, you can receive research funding in Germany. With the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Scientists, you can carry out your research project in Germany. The monthly grant is 3,170 euros. It can be applied for for a period of between 6 and 18 months and divided into up to three stays within three years.
- In addition to the amount of the scholarship, you will receive personal support during your funding. You can then determine the start of your scholarship very flexibly. You – and your spouse too – can attend an intensive language course in advance of your research scholarship.
- Further financial support – family allowances for children and spouses, travel allowances, etc. – is possible.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship is aimed at researchers with doctorates and above-average qualifications from all over the world – regardless of their subject.
- Completion of your doctorate – or a comparable academic degree such as Ph.D., C.Sc. or similar – was your application no more than four years ago? Or do you complete your dissertation in a maximum of six months and can already present the results in writing? Have you also already published scientifically in journals and publishers that are refereed according to international standards? Then apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdocs if you also meet the criteria formulated under “General Requirements”.
- Completion of your doctorate – or a comparable academic degree such as Ph.D., C.Sc. or similar – was your application no more than twelve years ago? An extensive list of scientific publications in journals and publishers refereed according to international standards proves your independent, scientific profile? Then apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Scientists if you also meet the conditions formulated under “General Requirements”.
- If a doctorate is not possible or unusual in your subject or country of origin, you can apply up to 16 years after completing your master’s or diploma degree if you have published a publication corresponding to your career level.
In order to successfully apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship, you should meet the following additional criteria:
- You do not have German citizenship. As a German citizen – or if you have completed your school and university degree or your university degree and your doctorate in Germany – you can apply provided that your main focus of work and life has been abroad for more than ten years lies.
- For a successful application, you must not have been in Germany for more than six months in the last 18 months prior to receipt of the application.
- If you have been in Germany for a short time, you should submit your application as soon as possible, as the formal admission of the application can only be determined when the application has been received.
- A researcher at a scientific institution of your choice in Germany will give you a written confirmation of research and supervision and will prepare a detailed expert opinion for you.
- You can provide two reference reports.
Postdocs: The supervisor of your doctoral thesis as well as another researcher – if possible outside your institute – provide well-founded information about your qualifications. Experienced scientists: The reports come from important cooperation partners or researchers at your own and other institutes, if possible also outside your country of origin.
- Natural and engineering sciences : You have good German or English language skills.
- Humanities and social sciences as well as medicine: You have good German language skills, as far as this is necessary for the successful implementation of your research project. Otherwise, good English language skills are sufficient.
They assume that you adhere to the rules of good scientific practice (PDF) and the principles of scientific ethics.
If you have already received funding from the Humboldt Foundation, you can not apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship. Their alumni programs are open to you.
How to apply
- If you would like to apply for the Humboldt Research Fellowship, please submit the necessary documents online to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
Please note that you can only send your application after you have uploaded the following documents in the application form:
- curriculum vitae in tabular form (maximum two pages)
- Presentation of your research project (maximum five pages)
- full list of your publications
- List of key publications (see sample key publication list , PDF)
- Key publications
- Doctoral certificate or proof of successful completion of the doctoral procedure or confirmation that this will take place within the next 6 months
- German language certificate if applicable
- If necessary: declarations of acceptance and / or confirmations of receipt from publishers as well as summaries / translations of key publications that are not available in English
- In addition: statement and research location confirmation from the host as well as two reference reports. Please note that only the hosts or the referees can upload these documents themselves in a protected area. The application can only be sent after this upload. You will find further information and explanations in the application form.
As soon as your online application has been received, you will receive a written confirmation from us by email. After checking your documents, they will inform you of the expected selection date.
Deadline: The selection committee responsible for your application meets every March, July and November. Please send your fully completed application form including the required additional documents in good time before the desired selection date.