Erasmus Mundus Excellence Scholarships for 2021/22 are available for the European Joint Master Degree in Archeological Materials Science(ARCHMAT).
ARCHMAT is a 2-years EMJMD course (120 ECTS) within a consortium of 3 Programme Country degree-awarding HEIs (Evora-UEVORA, Thessaloniki-AUTH and Sapienza Rome -UNIROMA1), 5 Programme Country (Avignon-UAPV, Palermo-UNIPA, Turin Polytechnic – POLITO, Burgos – UBU, Gent, UGENT) and 2 Partner Country (Ben Gurion Negev – BGU, Al Farabi Kazakh Nat. University – KAZNU) HEIs, 5 Programme country (Human Evolution Museum, Burgos -MEH, Museo delle Civilta, Rome – MUCIV, Centre for Archaeology, Lisbon – CAL, Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, University of Sao Paulo, Br – MAE-USP, Institute of Mater. Science of Aragon, Zaragoza – ICMA, Ormylia Art Diagnosis Center, Ormylia Gr – ORM) and 2 Partner Country Museums and Research Centers (Israel Museum Jerusalem – IMJ, GuoWenYan Cult. Heritage Conserv. Center, China – CHCC), 1 NGO (Fondazione Flaminia, Ravenna – FF), 1 Civil Society Organization (WATCH, Rome), 1 Association of SMEs in Archaeometry sector (Archeomed®, Arles – ARC) and 1 accreditation agency (CIMEA-NARIC) as associated partners.
Aims is to provide students with specialized skills in archaeology and analytical characterization of materials from prehistory(Megalithic) to classical times (Greek and Roman). The study and conservation of Cultural Heritage materials is a research area with a strong multidisciplinary connotation and requires skills that span across the Humanities and Science research fields. ARCHMAT provides a common, integrated platform for excellent students coming from either Science or Humanities educational backgrounds to understand the advanced scientific methods used to investigate archaeological materials and aims to form highly specialized professional experts in the emerging field of Archaeometry, i.e Physico-Chemical Sciences applied to the study of Archaeological and Cultural Heritage materials.
Worth of Award
- EMJMD scholarships cover travel expenses, participation costs and living costs for the entire duration of the Master course (max. 47,000€ for the two-year course).
- The total amount of the grant can vary according to the nationality and the place of residence of the scholarship holder.
- Therefore, a proof of the current place of residence at the time of application is mandatory to provide at application stage when applying for a scholarship.
- ARCHMAT, the ERASMUS MUNDUS European Master in Archaeological Materials Science is open to European and non-European excellent students with bachelor (I cycle equivalent-180 ECTS credits) degrees from both Science (Physics, Earth Sciences, Chemistry, Biology-Biochemistry, Engineering) and Humanities (Archaeology, Conservation Science, Cultural Heritage Studies, Architecture, Art History) academic fields.
- It will also be open to professionals in the Museum/Conservation sector that requires updating their knowledge and personal skills in in this highly specialized field providing they are holder of a Bachelor (I cycle) degree and possess an excellent academic background in the general fields of Archaeology-Museology-Conservation science-Cultural Heritage
- Candidates who will only obtain their first higher education degree at the end of the academic year preceding the one concerned by the scholarship application can nevertheless apply for a scholarship and be selected by the consortium concerned, under the condition that they acquire the required degree prior to the beginning of the masters course edition concerned
— Citizenship of a country where English is an official language ¹
— Scanned copy of TOEFL Language Proficiency Certificate (minimum score of 87 [iBT]
— Scanned copy of IELTS Certificate (minimum overall band score =6)
— Scanned copy of Cambridge Certificate
— Proof of at least 1 year English-based instruction at University level
How to Apply
- Applications to the ARCHMAT: ERASMUS MUNDUS Master in ARCHaeological MATerials Sciences can only be submitted online using the integrated application database available by clicking the APPLICATION link in the top bar.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO REGISTER FIRST BY FILLING YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS. You will be then sent an email with a link where you will validate your registration and select a password of your choice to be used when you enter the Application procedure database.
- The candidate is informed that if she/he is selected and proposed for a scholarship, put in a reserve list or enrolled on a self-paying basis, his data may be used for the purposes of evaluating the ERASMUS + Programme and will be made available to the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Agency of the EU, the EM National Structures, the EU delegations and the ERASMUS MUNDUS Student and Alumni Association, acting as stakeholders of the Programme
Candidates have to upload all of the following documents during the different stages of the application procedure
– Proof of nationality (passport copy with photo) ¹
– Scanned (translated) copy of the University diploma required for the enrolment in the ARCHMAT (Bachelor/I cycle degree in Physics, Earth Sciences, Chemistry, Biology-Biochemistry, Archaeology, Conservation Science, Cultural Heritage Studies) ²
– Scanned (translated) Copy of transcript of study results ²
– Curriculum vitae and Studiorum (EUROPASS format)
– Motivation letter (maximum 1 A4 page)
– Letter of recommendation by two academic referees. On your application page, you will be asked to name the two referees of your choice.
– Scanned copy of TOEFL Language Proficiency Certificate 87 [iBT] or of IELTS Certificate (minimum overall band score =6) or Cambridge Certificate or proof of at least 1 year English-based instruction at University level ¹
– Scanned declaration signed by the candidate that the eligibility criteria for a EM scholarship described in the SCHOLARSHIP section of the ARCHMAT website have been fulfilled
Deadline: Application deadline for candidates applying for an Erasmus+: Erasmus Mundus Scholarship is January 29, 2021.