Applications are now open for the UN Women Comic and Cartoon Competition tagged GENERATION EQUALITY: PICTURE IT! 2021.
UN Women together with the European Commission, Belgium, France, Mexico, as well as in partnership with Cartooning for Peace, is organizing a global comic and cartoon competition to mark the 25th anniversary of the groundbreaking Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, which set out how to remove the systemic barriers that hold women back from equal participation in all areas of life. The Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action is a visionary agenda for the empowerment of women and girls, everywhere.
To commemorate this anniversary, UN Women has launched the multigenerational campaign, “Generation Equality: Realizing women’s rights for an equal future”, and will be convening a global gathering for gender equality, the Generation Equality Forum, co-chaired by the Governments of France and Mexico, with the leadership and partnership of civil society. The Forum will kick-off in Mexico City at the end of March 2021 and culminate in Paris, France, in early June 2021.
As a global public conversation for urgent action and accountability for gender equality, the Forum will celebrate the power of women’s rights activism, feminist solidarity, and youth leadership to achieve transformative change.
Worth of Award
The prizes will be:
- First Prize: EUR 1200
- Second Prize: EUR 750
- Third Prize: EUR 500
- The first, second, and third prize winners will attend the virtual opening of the Forum in Paris and will be among the changemakers of this generation. This includes civil society, international organizations, governments, business, cities, parliaments, trade unions, media, and more.
- In addition, an exhibition with cartoons from all the finalists will take place during the Generation Equality Forum in Paris (in situ/virtual, depending on the situation).
- Furthermore, the winners will have their work featured on platforms such as the website of Cartooning for Peace. They’ll also be featured on websites of other official partners and their respective social media channels.
For you to be eligible for this competition, you must
- Be between 18 and 28 years old as of January 18, 2021, to compete.
- Believe in gender equality and realizing women’s rights for an equal future.
- Want to express your vision of a gender-equal generation in a drawing.
- Unleash the power of your creativity and PICTURE IT!
How to Apply
You are invited to picture your vision of what a gender-equal generation looks like. To do this successfully, seek inspiration for your drawing from any of the “12 critical areas of concern” of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action:
- Women and the Environment
- Violence against Women
- Women in Power and Decision making
- The Girl Child
- Women and the Economy
- Human Rights of Women
- Women and Poverty
- Education and Training of Women
- Women and Health
- Women and the Media
- Institutional Mechanisms for the advancement of Women
- Women and Armed conflict
- Your comic or cartoon must be without words.
- Your submission can be composed of one cartoon or a series, maximum of six boxes and fitting on a DIN A4 page (210mm x 297mm).
- The resolution of your drawing must be 150dpi or higher.
- The area of concern addressed in your drawing must be specified in the entry form.
Deadline: You must submit your comic/cartoon without words by midnight March 14, 2021, CET.