Applications are currently being accepted for the African Civic Engagement Academy Program at the University of Georgia, USA in 2021.
The African Civic Engagement Academy (ACEA) is a free online training program and networking opportunity offered to selected mid-career NGO and public sector leaders across sub-Saharan Africa.
Supported by the U.S. government, the ACEA provides 50+ hours of virtual coursework and peer discussion in English, French, and Portuguese. The program enables participants to develop their professional skills and acquire tools to improve community and government engagement in their countries.
Worth of Award
As a reward for participating in the program, participants will
- Be exposed to leadership development and strategic planning concepts.
- Develop a peer-mentored Civic Engagement Action Plan. This plan will identify steps to bring a civic engagement project to life in their community or government unit.
- Upon completion of the ACEA coursework and submission of a Civic Engagement Action Plan, receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Georgia. This may be displayed as a digital badge.
In order to be enrolled for the African Civic Engagement Academy program, eligible candidates should
- Be between the ages of 30 and 45 as of January 1, 2021.
- Serve in a leadership role with a civil society organization (including NGOs and non-profit community organizations) or a government unit responsible for engaging with the public.
- Have a demonstrated record of leading civic engagement efforts, including projects and programs to advocate, engage, and communicate in an inclusive way.
As part of benefits derivable from participating in the program, selected participants will receive online instruction and participate in peer discussions organized in three short courses:
- Principles of Civic Engagement, including strategies for NGO, non-profit, and government sector leaders to advocate and engage with one another.
- Political Inclusion, covering steps that can be taken to improve the political and social inclusion of underrepresented communities.
- Media Management, including the role of old and new media as a bridge between government and civil society.
How to Apply
Applications can be made online via the official website or you can email your application to [email protected]
Deadline: All applications must be submitted by February 15, 2021, at 5 pm GMT.