YOUTHLEAD is currently inviting applications for the International Youth Digital Leadership Council Fellowship 2021.
The International Youth Digital Leadership Council or “Digital Youth Council” is a 12-member council of young leaders between the ages of 16 and 24 years who are working on issues related to digital platforms and safety, and who are interested in reducing digital harm for children and youth.
Members will work together to advise, inform, and advocate for greater protection from digital harm as the US Agency for International Development (USAID) rolls out its Digital Strategy, thereby strengthening the next generation of digital changemakers and advocates.
Based on the goals and objectives of the Digital Youth Council, members will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Aged 16 to 24 years as of January 1, 2021.
- Have promoted or engaged in digital literacy, prevention of digital harm, or similar issues at a local, national, or international level and/or have a good understanding of digital harm and how youth are accessing digital platforms and the internet in their region.
- Have a strong peer network and social media presence and can reach large numbers of young followers in their region.
- Have a proven ability to inspire and a reputation for inclusive, innovative leadership.
- Have working ability in English (both written and spoken).
- Are from a low- and middle-income country and/or very well acquainted with low- and middle-income country contexts and digital harm issues.
- Can engage in regular Digital Youth Council meetings using platforms such as Zoom or Google Hangout.
Roles & Responsibilities
With guidance from USAID, Council members will bring their personal and professional experiences working on digital platforms and safety to advise on key topics related to digital engagement and the prevention of digital harm to young people.
The Digital Council will not only serve as an important voice in helping to guide the implementation of USAID’s Digital Strategy, but young people will also help to raise awareness of digital harm in their countries, and influence national leaders, the private sector, civil society, their community, and other youth on how best to keep safe while learning, playing, and exploring in the digital world.
All Digital Youth Council members will:
- Take part in 12 monthly virtual Council meetings on key topics of discussion for USAID and the young leaders.
- Present on their project at the end-of-the year session.
- Develop a tailored social media awareness raising campaign for their specific geographic region.
- Form part of an ongoing community of practice on youth leadership on YouthLead.org.
- Respond in a timely manner to emails and communication from USAID requesting input.
- Serve a one-year term based on active participation, with the possibility of extension for a second year.
How to Apply
Ensure that you submit your completed applications using the online application form here: https://forms.gle/JGFDPrfZhxTexwe28
Note that incomplete applications will not be considered and submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 22, 2021.
Deadline: The deadline for this YOUTHLEAD application is Friday, January 22, 2021.