The Europeans Union offers Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for the Master of Science in Marine Biological Resources in the 2022/23 academic session.
The International Master of Science in Marine Biological Resources (IMBRSea), is a joint Master program organized by ten leading European universities in the field of marine sciences, supported by the European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC). The IMBRSea program takes the strengths from the previous International Master of Science in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation (EMBC+), and prepares students for the rapidly evolving demands of the blue bio-economy and research on the sustainable use of marine biological resources.
People who dare to think about the challenges of tomorrow, that is what we aim for. IMBRSea is not only for learning marine related subjects, it is for learning how to be a flexible, adaptable and an international professional.
- Think broadly. You’re going to experience different environments, but you will see that the challenges are similar. Not only dare to think, but also dare to change your way of thinking.
- Keep researching. Research is the foundation of our education. This is a Master of Science so research has a central part on it.
- Equality matters. Everyone starts with equal opportunities. Every student gets the opportunity to develop their talents, regardless of gender, cultural or social background.
- Build with us. Students, staff and the partners all get the chance to contribute to the content and form of our high quality education.
- Push boundaries. They want to prepare our students internationally and inter-culturally. They give them the opportunity to gain experience across borders. They open their doors for students from all over the world and welcome teachers and academic staff from abroad.
Worth of Award
The EMJMD student scholarships will include student participation costs (including the consortium fees and full insurance coverage), a contribution to student travel and installation cost and a subsistence allowance for the entire duration of the EMJMD study programme. Details on the EMJMD student scholarship amounts are given below:
Contribution to the participation costs
- 8 500 EUR per year per scholarship holder from a Partner Country
- 4 250 EUR per year per scholarship holder from a Programme Country
Contribution to travel and installation costs
- 1 000 EUR per year per scholarship holder resident in a Programme Country for travel costs.
- 2 000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1 000 EUR for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country less than 4000 km from the EMJMD coordinating HEI.
- 3 000 EUR per year for travel costs + 1 000 EUR for installation costs for a scholarship holder, resident in a Partner Country 4 000 km or more from the EMJMD coordinating HEI.
Contribution to the subsistence costs
- 1 000 EUR per month for the entire duration of the EMJMD study programme (24 months maximum). Contribution to subsistence costs will not be given to the scholarship holders for the EMJMD periods (study/research/placement/thesis preparation) spent in their country of residence, nor to scholarship holders from a Partner Country for the EMJMD periods exceeding one trimester (i.e. 3 months or the equivalent of 15 ECTS credits) spent in any Partner Country.
- A prerequisite for admission is that applicants have a Bachelor (or Master) degree in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, oceanography, marine sciences, (bio)chemistry, biotechnology, geography, geology, veterinary medicine or other equivalent degrees with minimum 180 credits at the latest before September 1st of the academic year you start the IMBRSea programme.
Note: students in their last year of such a study program at the time of application will also be considered for admission. It is the applicant’s responsibility that the required degree is obtained prior to the start of the IMBRSea programme.
Note 2: your degree and transcript of records will need to be duly legalized. See below.
Knowledge of the English language is considered as a basic requirement to follow classes. All students must provide evidence of their proficiency in English through one of the following documents:
- A TOEFL Certificate: minimum score: 570 points (paper) or 87 points (internet)
- A IELTS Certificate (in person or online): minimum score: 6.5
- A Certificate of a University Language Centre testifying that the student masters the necessary knowledge of English to function academically (specify CEF-level / minimum CEF-level B2)
- A Cambridge English certificate: Cambridge English First (FCE) – grade A or B
- A certificate proving that you have followed at least 1 year of higher education in English
The IMBRSea Programme Board can, at its own discretion waive the requirement for proof of English language skills, if English was the official language of instruction/teaching for at least one year of the previous successful Higher Education studies.
How to Apply
Checklist of information needed to complete the application
- Valid passport or ID-card
- Europass CV
- Higher Education degree and transcript of records
- Language proficiency documentation
- Contact details of at least 2 academic referees
- Complete motivation
- Other relevant documentation
Please read the dedicated sections with relevant information about academic eligibility and funding opportunities.
Deadline: Application deadline for candidates applying for an Erasmus Mundus Scholarship is March 31, 2022.