Newcastle University in the UK is offering Sanctuary Scholarships to undergraduate and postgraduate students in the 2022/23 academic session.
Worth of Award
The following categories of applicants can apply under this scheme:
- asylum seekers
- children of asylum seekers and unaccompanied asylum-seeking children (eg children migrants under 18)*
- Applicants must be living in the North East of England (Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland, Cleveland and North Cumbria) at the time that they apply for consideration under the scheme.*
- Applicants must have applied for a place on a Newcastle University degree programme. Priority will be given to applicants applying for their first degree.
- Their predicted grades must meet the entry requirements for the degree concerned.
- Applicants must meet the English language criteria for their course or have relevant qualifications to indicate their English language competency.
- Personal circumstances will be taken into account if there is a good reason for criterion 4 or 5 not being met.
- Applicants must be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student
Finance England or a local authority grant.
These criteria have been discussed and agreed with the Asylum and Migration Justice Forum.
*Applicants who have been granted Humanitarian Protection, Discretionary Leave to Remain as a result of an application for asylum, or the children of a parent in this position, may also be considered.
Sanctuary Scholarship applications will be considered from students applying to the following programmes:
- undergraduate degree programmes
- postgraduate degree programmes, including doctorate level programmes (eg PhD)
How to Apply
- Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship must be made using their online application form.
- Applicants will be required to upload proof of their immigration status and a reference. The reference should be from someone who has known the applicant for a significant period of time and who is aware of their personal circumstances.
- Please read the Newcastle University Sanctuary Scholarship Guidance notes 2021(PDF: 424KB) carefully, before completing the application form.