EU:Africa The Post Crisis Journey offers the African-European online hackathon program to find innovative solutions to socio-economic problems that have been further escalated by the outburst of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021. They aim to engage 10,000 passionate tech-savvy and socially conscious problem solvers, 300 mentors, and 500 community organizations across Africa and Europe.
Today’s virus influenced world is uncertain and dynamic. After almost 2 years of facing the new reality, it has become clear to everyone, that the life that we have lived until the outbreak of COVID-19 does not just bounce back to the way it was.
It is important to start with new and creative approaches to deal with the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic has given us an insight into. Build new projects. Think bigger. It is in our hands to jumpstart the economy by using decades of innovation in a supportive and inclusive way while being tough, and smart, united, and disciplined.
All the challenges tackled in this program are put together in collaboration with African Union and Smart Africa and are in line with the Africa-Europe Digital Economy Partnership Report and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals The program is put together in collaboration with Estonia Ministry of Foreign Affairs Development Cooperation and African Union, Irish Aid, Luxembourg Aid and Development and Polish Aid and implemented by Garage48 and Smart Africa.
Worth of Award
- Winning teams will get their hands on a 100 000€ prize fund (and growing!), develop their prototypes further in the follow-up program of the hackathon, and implement their world-changing ideas in real life.
- Winner 20 000€
- 2nd place 15 000€
- 3rd place 10 000€
- 4th place 5000€
- 5th place 5000€
- 6th place 2000€
- 7th place 2000€
- 8th place 2000€
- 9th place2000€
- 10th place 2000€
- Plus: 3000€ for each of the category winners!
- They’re welcoming ideas aimed at solving the challenges of the COVID-19 crisis and its socio-economic aftermath.
- The intent of this hackathon is to develop ideas that are prototypeable in 72-hours which could help solve the crisis.
- 11 challenge areas tackled in this program are put together in collaboration with African Union and Smart Africa and are in line with the Africa-Europe Digital Economy Partnership Report and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Education ⎮ Food security ⎮ Job Security ⎮ Vulnerable Populations ⎮ Health & Wellness ⎮ Financial Services ⎮ Big Data ⎮ Cyber Security ⎮Smart Cities⎮Job Security ⎮ Financial Services ⎮ Cyber Security⎮ Digital Economy ⎮ e-Governance⎮ Smart Cities
How to Apply
- Click “Participate” at the hackathon platform and sign up or sign in with your social media profile.
- You do not need a password- an email address is enough and the sign-in link will be e-mailed to you
- Look at the challenges click “Post Idea” to submit your idea to the hackathon
Deadline: Submit ideas by December 1, 2021.