The University of South Australia invites applications for the Plasma Touches Life Scholarship for PhD in the 2021/22 session.
They are seeking a motivated student to undertake an exciting Australian Research Council funded PhD project entitled “Plasma touches life: advancing plasma technologies for the life sciences”. The student will have opportunity to develop and test their own research initiatives in the application of electrical cold atmospheric plasma technology for wound decontamination and cancer treatments, with focus on developing novel strategies to improve the efficacy and safety of the plasma treatments.
The student will be primarily based at the University of South Australia, Future Industries Institute (FII), but will also work regularly at the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) throughout the project. The FII and CSIRO provide world-class research facilities including a plasma research laboratory equipped with a range of plasma sources and plasma diagnostics, and PC2 laboratories including cell culture suites and a range of molecular biology and histology facilities, and high-resolution microscopy.
Worth of Award
- As part of the training package, the student will also have opportunity to undertake part of their research at Lancaster University in the UK for 6 months, investigating how plasma treatments influence DNA replication, damage and repair in Xenopus egg extract models.
- $28,092 (2020 rate) for 3.5 years
- In order to undertake this project successfully, the student will need to have a strong background in mammalian and bacteria cell culture techniques and molecular biology.
- Commencing candidates
- Domestic and international students
- Applicants must meet the entry criteria for the award of a Doctor of Philosophy at the University of South Australia
- Study areas: General molecular and cellular biology, tissue culture (mammalian and bacteria), microscopy, immunohistochemistry
How to Apply
- In the first instance, interested applicants should send their CV, brief (maximum one page) supporting statement and 3 referees to Dr Endre Szili at [email protected] and following the initial endorsement by the supervisor, applicants will go through the UniSA online application process.
Deadline: The scholarship will remain open until filled.