The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences at the University of Amsterdam offers PhD Position in Computational Social Science in the 2021/22 academic session.
POPNET-SSH is a novel digital infrastructure and research community with the aim of unlocking longitudinal social network data on the entire population of the Netherlands for academic research purposes.
A first-of-a-kind research infrastructure tailored in terms of hard- and software specifically for large-scale social network analysis will be developed. The available data includes the complete social network (at population-scale) of the 17 million inhabitants of Netherlands, including all family, neighborhood, school and work relations, as well as demographic information.
From this, actionable insights into key issues including segregation, substantive social change, and UN sustainable development goals such as reducing inequality can be obtained. We invite candidates to think about what they would want to investigate using this data, and elaborate on this in their motivation letter.
Worth of Award
- Your salary will be €2,395 gross per month in the first year and will increase to €3,061 in the final year, based on full-time employment and in keeping with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities
- They additionally offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- An academic (research) master’s degree in a relevant field, ideally with experience in network science, complex networks and/or social network analysis;
- experience with programming in languages relevant for social network analysis;
- able to work independently and in a team;
- excellent writing skills and proficiency of the English language;
- an academic, creative and curious mindset.
How to Apply
- The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. They celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. They value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Does this profile sound like you? If so, we are eager to receive:
- a letter of motivation of at most 2 pages where you explain why you will make a difference in our team;
- two letters of recommendation;
- a writing example (article, chapter, thesis);
- a CV.
Deadline: Applications close December 3, 2020. Interviews will take place between 7 and 11 December 2020. The intended starting date is 1 February 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.