IMPRS-gBGC international PhD scholarship in Germany is open for applications to international students of all nationalities for the 2014/2015 academic session. Applicants must be exceptionally intelligent.
It deals with understanding the mechanisms shaping ecosystem root water uptake and relating them to the specific site conditions using modeling approaches. Using field data from locations around the world together with process modeling shall reveal how the strategies for accessing water change across biomes. Several routes of research are possible for tackling this issue, depending on the interest and expertise of the applicant.
However, the project will be rooted in process and/or inverse modeling and work at the interface of hydrology and ecology. In order to foster hands on understanding of the related processes and data collection, all PhD students focusing on modeling will also participate in the groups (local) field work.
Worth of Award
- financial support of ca. 1300 Euros/month to cover their living expenses plus additional benefits, including funding for the foreign research stay and support for attending conferences and summer schools.
- There are no tuition fees.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Applications to the IMPRS-gBGC are open to well-motivated and highly-qualified students from all countries. For this particular PhD project candidate must
- Master degree in a discipline related to the environmental sciences with a strong quantitative skills OR in applied mathematics and physics with readiness to work on applied topics in ecohydrology
- Basic knowledge in soil hydrology
- Experience with process modeling or data analysis with script languages (Matlab, R, Python) or other programming languages
- Readiness to work in the field together with other PhD students in the group
- Very good expression in English (spoken and written)
How to Apply: Applicants are to apply online via their website (see link below)
Deadline: application closes on February 6, 2014
Click here for more details and to apply online