The Division of Biomedical Engineering invites applications from suitably qualified doctoral graduates for a postdoctoral research fellowship in the area of health innovation. The successful candidate will participate in at least two of the following
- Conduct case studies of successful health innovations in South Africa and other developing contexts so as to identify critical success factors
- Examine the status and prospects of the South African medical device industry;
- Examine interaction between universities, industry and the public sector for health innovation;
- Design, implement and test innovations that address local health care challenges in a contextually appropriate manner
- Develop and test a health innovation design protocol for postgraduate students.
Worth of Award
- The fellowship has a value of R190,000 per annum, is tax-free and is tenable for one year.
- It may be renewed for a further year on evidence of satisfactory academic progress.
- Have obtained a doctoral degree in any relevant field within the past 5years (eg health/engineering/management/
- Natural/social sciences)
- Have held no previous professional or academic posts
- Be willing to take up the fellowship by 24 March 2014
- Demonstrate congruence between his/her research interests and the research areas outlined above;
- Have an established or emerging publication record;
- Be able to work in an interdisciplinary team environment;
- Have good organizational and management skills;
- Have good written and oral communication skills;
- Be prepared to undertake limited teaching/supervision duties as part of his/her professional development;
- Be prepared to register at the University of Cape Town as a postdoctoral research fellow and will be expected to comply with the policies and practices of the Postdoctoral Research Sector of the University.
How to Apply
- Apply by email to [email protected], supplying the following documentation:
- a covering letter describing the applicant’s research interests and indicating how these align with the themes of the fellowship
- a CV that includes full details of publications
- copies of all academic transcripts and certificates for previous degrees and for the doctoral degree
- The names of two academic referees with whom the applicant has worked.
- Candidates who obtained their PhD at universities other than UCT are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: Application closing date is not stated. Email them if you have questions: [email protected]