The United People Global and Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership offers the UPG Sustainability Leadership in 2021.
UPG Sustainability Leadership is about positive citizen leadership on sustainability. It is a movement that encourages and enables citizens at all levels to take positive action. A movement inspired by the UPG’s commitment to do what we can with what we have, rather than wait for someone else to act. It is accurate to think of UPG Sustainability Leadership as a state of mind.
UPG believes that sustainability includes BOTH the usual “green” issues such as planting trees, recycling waste, managing energy, protecting the oceans AND that it also includes other issues that have been central to our societies for a long time such as: education, health, jobs, gender equality, sustainable consumption, sustainable production and more. For those who are familiar with it, UPG uses the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a guide
This initiative is currently comprised of several activities which appear below and which are described further below. Please explore and join any part of the initiative that you can contribute to.
Worth of Award
- For 2021 UPG is training and certifying 500 young leaders from all over the world and flying 60 of them to a FREE, complementary and immersive 1-week experience on an island in the USA: the Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership.
- You demonstrate a strong motivation to become UPG Sustainability Leader combined with strong capabilities and you also have initial ideas that can have impact.
- Your age is minimum 18 years or maximum 35 years by 1 October 2021. This ensures that all participants are within this age group for the duration of the training and experiences that are planned.
- UPG is looking for young determined people from all different paths of life and regions of the world. From well-experienced professionals to freshly graduated students.
- The selection process considers four factors: A. Your Profile – this helps them to strive for diversity.B. Your Motivation – they select the most motivated C. Your Capabilities and D. The Potential for Impact.
- UPG Champions have an advantage in the process as they demonstrate the required motivation. UPG Champions that are part of a local “Community of Champions” or Champions who are from a organisation that is a UPG Champion also have an advantage in the selection process as this contributes to a supportive environment for their work.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme through their portal online
Deadline: Applications for close November 30, 2020.