DAAD in Germany is inviting applications for Master of Science (MSc) in Development Economics for the 2022/2023 academic session.
The English-language Master of Science in Development Economics is jointly offered by the Department of Economics (Faculty of Business and Economics) and the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (Faculty of Agricultural Sciences). It builds on the successful Master of Science in International Economics and Master of Arts in Agribusiness; these programmes already had a strong specialization in development issues. This research-oriented master programme now offers a comprehensive four-semester programme dedicated solely to the study of development economics issues.
This attractive master’s programme offers a wide array of development relevant courses, a specialization in quantitative or agricultural economics, one semester stay abroad at one of our many partner universities around the globe or opportunities for fieldwork in a developing country. All these features together with the concluding master’s thesis will enable students to analyze current issues in development economics and prepare them for successful careers as development specialists in government agencies, supra-national or non-governmental organizations, research, and the private sector.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship consists of monthly payments of €750, full insurance coverage, and travel allowance as well as an intensive German language course prior to the programme start.
- Furthermore, students with children can apply for additional funds to secure their living expenses.
The selection procedure takes place in two steps with a pre-selection of applicants based on their written application documents followed by a personal selection interview with some of the applicants.
The following points are evaluated in the pre-selection procedure:
- final grade of the bachelor’s degree (or the comparable university degree)
- CV and letter of motivation (proof of special interest in development field)
- sound knowledge of economic theory documented by a corresponding specialisation and performance in the programme, on which application is based.
Suitable candidates may be invited to a selection interview, if not already admitted based on their application material alone. This interview will be held online (skype) in case of international applicants. German residents will be scheduled during the so-called “application day” and have to appear in person. The admission committee will inform the applicants of the selection process results in writing.
How to Apply
- An application to a master’s programme is already possible even if you have not completed your current programme of study at the time of application, but have acquired at least 150 credit points in a related bachelor’s programme.
- You can only apply during the application periods. If you wish to apply for the degree programme, you have to fill in the online application form, print it and finally send it together with all necessary documents by mail to the Service Centre for Students of the Faculty of Business and Economics.
- You will find the online application form and more detailed information on the application and admission procedure under Application and Admission.
Deadline: Application closes on November 15, 2021.