Grand Challenges Canada, which is funded by the Government of Canada, invites applications for the 2014/2015 Stars in Global Health challenge. The challenge aims to support Bold Ideas with Big Impact from the best and brightest talent, both in low- and middle-income countries and in Canada, to use scientific/technical, social and business innovation to address some of the most pressing global health challenges.
Worth of Awards
- Awards are initially valued at $100,000 CAD for up to 12–18 months to demonstrate proof of concept of the idea.
- Phase I grantees who complete a minimum of nine months of their Grand Challenges Canada grant, complete their proof-of-concept projects and have solutions that are ready to transition to scale will be invited to submit Phase II – Transition to Scale proposals. The Phase II – Transition to Scale program will require 50% matching of funds through partnerships to be eligible for Grand Challenges Canada funding.
- In the Round 7 Request for Proposals, Grand Challenges Canada seeks bold ideas aligned with innovative social entrepreneurial approaches that could be easily implemented in developing countries to save and improve lives.
- These bold ideas could come from non-profit organizations and for-profit organizations, as well as other recognized institutions.
- The ideas may encompass development/ deployment of products and/or services in any spectrum of global health, including drug discovery, vaccine development, diagnostics, health and medical education, maternal and child health, non-communicable diseases (including cancer and mental health), health-related water and sanitation, and health-related agriculture and nutrition.
How to Apply
- Applications MUST be submitted online (see link below)
- Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
- The focus of this call is not on the organization itself, but on the concept of social entrepreneurship in the proposal. The concept must be novel, bold, innovative, transformational and ‘outside-the-box’. Existing social entrepreneurial ideas are welcomed so long as there is a clear innovative (novel) component being introduced.
- Proposals must include a two-minute video explaining the target global health problem, the proposed solution and why it is a creative, bold and innovative approach. The purpose of the video is to engage the public in global health and demonstrate the creativity of innovators.
- These videos will be posted on Grand Challenges Canada’s website for public viewing and comment.
Deadline: Deadline for application is Monday, March 10, 2014, at 3:00 p.m. ET Please submit queries to [email protected]
Click here for more details and to apply online