The Japan International Cooperation Agency invites applications for the ABE Initiative Master’s and Internship Programme for Youth 8th Batch in the 2020/21 academic session.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced the commencement of the ABE Initiative at the Fifth Tokyo Conference on African Development (TICAD V) held in Yokohama, Japan, in 2013. The ABE Initiative aims to develop human resources in both public and private sectors. More than 1,200 participants from all the 54 countries have joined the program since 2014. The program has provided African youths with opportunities to study at Japanese universities and to work at Japanese enterprises.
Worth of Award
JICA will provide the following expenses for participant of the program that is equivalent
to similar JICA schemes.
- Tuition at Japanese university Master’s Degree (Doctor’s Degree included in case of
SDGs Program) programs (and research student).
- Allowances for living expenses, outfit, shipping etc.
- A round-trip airfare
- Other costs should be covered by the participants’ organizations or other individuals.
- Be citizens of South Africa
- Be less than 40 (as of 1 April 2021)
- Have some work experience
- Have good health condition, both physically and mentally, to complete the program
- Bachelor’s degree (B-Tech included) with honours or equivalent to NQF8 or above
- Minimum average of 65% score in academic transcript
- Have good understanding of the ABE Initiative’s objectives
- Have adequate English skills in both written and oral communication
How to Apply
Submit both soft and hard copies;
- Email marked PDF files of application documents (Less than 4MB in a mail), and
Submit the original documents to the following address:
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) South Africa Office
Lord Charles Office Block, Building B, 1st Floor 337
Brooklyn Street, Brooklyn, Pretoria 0081
P.O. Box 14068, Hatfield, 0028
Republic of South Africa
Deadline: Application closes October 9, 2020