The 2014 IBM “The World is Our Lab” photo competition is open to African photographers of all abilities, the contest aims to capture Africa through its numerous challenges and opportunities through their lenses. All contestants whether they use a camera phone or professional camera, are to capture and render original images that best define one or more of the following three categories:
- African Grand Challenges
- African City Systems
- African Innovation
The new laboratory employs some of the biggest brains to develop solutions to Africa’s grand challenges and to drive innovation in Africa, for Africa and the world.
Worth of award
- The winners of each category will receive a Lenovo T440 laptop with photo editing software and an all-expense-paid trip to Nairobi, Kenya (from any African capital city) where they will visit IBM’s new Africa research lab, receive a personal tour of iHub’s amazing Innovation Hub and benefit from a photography workshop with one of Africa’s most exciting young photographers Mutua Matheka .
- In the event that a resident of Kenya is a top entry then they will receive a 3-day trip for two people to the beautiful Hemingways Hotel Watamu instead of the trip to Nairobi.
- Participants must have the ownership rights to the entries they submit and warrant by submission that they hold these rights.
- While the competition is open to IBM employees and contractors, they will not be eligible for prizes.
- To be eligible for prizes, participants must reside in Africa, have a valid passport and be available to travel to Nairobi, Kenya for 8 days before February 28th 2014
Competition Rules Participation
- There is no limit to the number of times a participant may enter the competition.
- Photographs can only be considered if submitted in 330 DPI resolution or above.
- By participating in the competition, participants grant IBM the right to print, copy, display and distribute their entries.
How to Apply
- Participants should capture or render original images that best define one or more of the competition categories.
- Participants should upload jpg images (photographs or scans) in at least 330 DPI resolution via the
- Entries will be judged by a panel of experts from IBM, A24 Media, iHub and independent photographer Mutua Matheka.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Deadline: All entries must be received by January31, 2014 (no entries accepted after this date).Winners will be notified by phone or email.