The University of Sydney IPRS provides full funding to international students who wish to study at the University. The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) scheme is funded by the Australian Government and provides tuition fees to top quality international postgraduate students who wish to enroll in a research degree at Australian universities. Applications are assessed on academic merit and research potential. In addition to the IPRS, the University of Sydney awards an International Postgraduate Award (IPA) to IPRS holders.
Worth of Award
- Full fees sponsored by the Australian government
- University of Sydney awards an International Postgraduate Award (IPA), which provides a stipend/living allowance to all IPRS recipients.
- The University awards approximately 30 IPRS awards each year.
Eligibility To be eligible for the IPRS, you must:
- Be an international student commencing full time enrolment in a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at this University.
- International students who wish to apply for an IPRS and have commenced a postgraduate research degree at The University of Sydney but were not considered for the IPRS in the previous round/year due to the timing of their application and subsequent enrolment will be required to complete the IPRS Special Application Form. This form MUST be received at the International Student Office: Form for the Semester one (March) scholarship round – by 31 August of the previous year. Form for the Semester two (July) scholarship round – by 28 February of the current year.
- Be a student undertaking study in a subject area identified by the University as within the areas of its current and emerging research strengths.
- Not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree, or, if undertaking a Research Master’s degree, not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
- Not have held an AusAID scholarship within two years prior to commencing the IPRS.
- Not be receiving a scholarship for which course tuition is a component under any other scholarship scheme to which the Australian Government makes a substantial contribution.
- Not previously have received an IPRS, unless the previous IPRS was for a Master by Research degree that you have completed and you are now applying for a doctorate research degree.
How to Apply
- The IPRS is available to students commencing in both the March and July Semesters. Students must indicate that they would like to be considered for the IPRS by completing the relevant section of the Postgraduate Research Application form.
- No separate application for a IPRS Scholarship is necessary.
Deadline: To be considered for the award, applications MUST be received by the International Student Office by:
- 31 July of the previous year for Semester 1 (March) commencement
- 15 December of the previous year for Semester 2 (July) commencement
Successful candidates will be notified in late October/early November for Semester 1 (March) commencement and April for Semester 2 (July) commencement. Note that only successful applicants will be notified.
Click here for application details.