The IAHR African Trust Fund invites young scholars in particular of any ethnic/national origin, working and/or studying in any higher academic or research institution on the African continent (and nearby islands), whose research project needs financial support or whose publication in an African publishing house (scientific journal) requires a subsidy.
The IAHR African Trust Fund seeks to facilitate and promote the advancement of research and the development of scholarship on religion in the African continent (and nearby islands) by encouraging scholarly and contextual research initiatives and practices, as well as publications.
- The total grant allocation for 2014 is US$4000.
- The grant application is divided into two categories and successful applicants will be awarded the respective amounts within the specific category:
Category 1: Research and/or Publication. 2 X Award of US$1000
Category 2: Research and/or Publication, 4 X Award of US$500
- Applicants have to be scholars resident in Africa and associated with any higher academic or research institution within this context.
- Application are encouraged from members to the IAHR member associations, namely the African Association for the Study of Religion (AASR), the Association for the Study of Religion in Southern Africa (ASRSA), and the East African Association for the Study of Religion (EAASR).
- Members of the Nigerian Association for the Study of Religion (NASR), no longer a member to the IAHR, may apply if they are also individual members to the AASR.
How to Apply
Send a brief covering letter addressed to the IAHR African Trust Fund stating that your submission is for consideration for the IAHR African Trust Fund Grant and include the following required materials:
- Name of Applicant
- Email, Telephone Number and Mailing Address of the Applicant
- Name of University, Department, Research Centre or Institute
- Name(s) of IAHR African Member Association(s)
- Title of Research/Publication Proposal
- A research proposal of not more than four single-spaced pages detailing the aims/objectives, specific research questions, methodology and theoretical issues, the rationale and plan of research ( time frame), and a detailed, one-page budget should be attached, indicating the amount being applied for and the exact purposes for which it will be used. If application is for only publication purposes, also indicate to what specific journal or book and evidence of what sum is required for such publication.
- Brief curriculum vitae and a statement of qualifications that specifically addresses the research project.
- Include two letters of reference from senior scholars, one of whom MUST be a member, preferably an executive member of the IAHR member associations.
- Completed applications forms are to be submitted as an electronic copy file in PDF or MS Word format in an attachment via email to the Secretary of the African Trust Fund Board of Trustees, Dr. Afe Adogame [[email protected]]. Please include in the electronic copy file the applicant’s last name e.g. Eliza.pdf / Eliza.doc. The subject line in the email should read “IAHR African Trust Fund Application 2014” – Note, no hard copies will be accepted.
For more information on the IAHR African Trust Fund Applications, please contact the Secretary of the African Trust Fund Board of Trustees at [email protected].
Applications will be evaluated by the Board of Trustees of the IAHR African Trust Fund, and the board will consult specialists in the relevant fields when needed. Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The originality, quality, importance and impact of the proposed study as it relates to the historical, social and comparative study of religion in the African continent (and nearby islands).
- Adherence to the best practices of research methodology and theory employed.
- The relevance of the study to the African continent (and nearby islands).
Deadline: Applications are open till January 30, 2014. Grant-winning applicants will be announced on 20th February 2014. Note that all grants will be awarded to the successful applicants at the end of February 2014.
For details and to apply online, click here: