Atlas Corps, an overseas fellowship for the world’s best nonprofit leaders, is now open for applications. The fellowship is aimed at addressing critical social issues by developing leaders, strengthening organizations, and promoting innovation through an overseas fellowship of skilled nonprofit professionals.
The Atlas Corps Fellowship lasts 6-18 months and is offered three times a year. Fellows serve full-time at Host Organizations, develop leadership skills, and learn nonprofit best practices through the Atlas Corps Global Leadership Lab professional development series and networking opportunities with other Fellows who are skilled nonprofit professionals from around the world.
Worth of Award
- The prestigious fellowship includes health insurance, enrollment in Atlas Corps Global Leadership Lab, flight and visa costs, and a living stipend to cover basic expenses (food, local transportation, and shared housing).
Eligibility for the Atlas Corps Fellowship
- 2 or more years of relevant experience in the nonprofit/NGO/social sector
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English proficiency (oral, writing, reading)
- 35 years or younger
- Apply to serve in a country other than where you are from (U.S. citizens are not eligible for the U.S. Fellowship – check out our Fellowship in Colombia!)
- Commitment to return to your home country after the 6-18 month fellowship
How to Apply
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to be considered for one of our classes that begins in January, May, or September.
- Final decisions are made 4 -8 weeks before the class begins. For example, the January class decisions are made in November; May class decisions will be made in March; September class decisions will be made in July. You may reapply to our program, but you should only apply once a year, unless there is a dramatic change in your application, such as completing graduate school, winning an award, etc.
- Strong applications are considered for multiple classes unless the candidate withdraws their application. If you ever decide to withdraw your application from consideration, please email [email protected]
- Due to the fast-moving nature of our selection process, applicants are encouraged to check their email frequently for updates; otherwise they risk missing critical information or deadlines.
- Online Application: All applications need to be submitted online. The organisation will not accept applications via email or mail. You will need to create a login and you can save your responses so you can return to the application at any time. The application consists of background information, personal biography, essays, and letters of recommendation.
- Letters of Recommendation: Atlas Corps requires two (up to three) letters of recommendation from individuals who know you in a professional capacity and can write about your skills and experiences as well as your potential for success as an Atlas Corps Fellow. You will need to send your request for a letter of recommendation directly through the application system. Your recommender will receive an email that asks for a recommendation. More detailed instructions can be found in the online application form. Recommendation letters should be submitted within two weeks after submitting your application.
- Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee including Atlas Corps staff and nonprofit sector, government, and business leaders from multiple countries. English writing tests and phone interviews will be conducted with semi-finalists. Host Organizations will conduct Skype video interviews with selected finalists. Host Organizations will make their final recommendations to Atlas Corps, and Atlas Corps will notify the selected candidates.
- Visa Process: After being selected, candidates will go to the U.S. Embassy in their respective countries to apply for a J-1 visa. Atlas Corps will provide support in obtaining this visa.
Deadline: Application are in three rounds
Round 1=January Fellowship, closes on July 15, yearly
Round 2=May Fellowship, closes on November 8, yearly
Round 3=September Fellowship, closes on March 22 yearly
For fellowship details and to apply online click here