The Oxford Brookes University in the UK is inviting applications from qualified candidates for Sanctuary Scholarship for the 2020/2021 academic session.
This scholarship is for individuals seeking asylum and those who have a form of protection from an asylum claim, who are not able to access government student finance.
Worth of Award
In 2020/21 entry there will be two scholarships available which will include:
- A full fee waiver (you do not need to pay fees)
- A cash bursary of £4,000
- Financial support is equivalent to £8,000 towards accommodation. Those living in halls of residence will automatically receive this support; those in private accommodation will be required to provide proof of living costs as detailed in the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
- Guaranteed accommodation in University halls of residence for 52 weeks per year
Students with the following immigration statuses who meet the relevant course entry requirements and are not in receipt of, or eligible for government student financial support, are eligible to apply:
- Asylum seeker
- Unaccompanied asylum-seeking child (UASC)
- Limited leave to remain (LLR)
- Discretionary Leave to remain (DLR)
- Humanitarian protection (HP)
- The family member of someone with one of the immigration statuses listed above with ‘inline’ or ‘dependent’ status.
The scholarship will be open to students who are in receipt of an offer (or awaiting a decision) for a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate taught course, including foundation year courses. Courses taught at Partner Colleges are not eligible.
How to Apply
complete the online form which includes a personal statement section. This section assesses your suitability for the Sanctuary Scholarship. Please ensure that in your answers you have included:
- Your reason for wanting to access higher education, including your future aims and ambitions and how your chosen course will help you achieve these.
- The difficulties you have faced in continuing your education and how you have tried to overcome these.
- Details of your financial circumstances and any previous applications you have made for funding.
Applications will only be considered if they are accompanied by a Referee Supporting Statement that is signed, dated and on letter headed paper. This will need to be uploaded as part of the online form. Applicants will also be required to provide evidence of their immigration status.
If you require a paper copy of the application form please email [email protected]
Deadline: Candidates must apply for the scholarship by the deadline of July 6, 2020. Applications received after this date will not be considered.