The 2014 University of Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships are open for applications. The PhD scholarships are designed to attract high quality overseas research students to the University of Edinburgh.
The awards are open to overseas students undertaking a research degree and may be held in any field of study
Worth of Awards
- 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships will be awarded for session 2014-2015.
- Each award covers the difference between the tuition fee for a UK/EU graduate student and that chargeable to an overseas graduate student.
- The awards do not cover maintenance expenses.
- Subject to satisfactory progress, the awards are tenable for up to three years.
- Applicants must be liable to pay tuition fees at the rate applicable to overseas students and must have already applied for admission to a full-time PhD research programme of study.
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
- Although candidates with an upper second class honours Bachelor’s degree (or the overseas equivalent) can be considered, in order to be competitive you should really have a first class Bachelor’s degree supplemented by an excellent Master’s degree.
- Other factors such as financial status, nationality and the proposed field of study are not taken into account.
- The University of Edinburgh will not generally consider candidates who have already obtained a PhD, or formal equivalent, as a result of direct research training.
- Students already on programme cannot be considered for these awards.
- Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Master’s programme of study in 2014 and your PhD the following year in 2015, that you will not be eligible to apply for an award in 2014.
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships such as a Commonwealth Scholarship, or a Marshall Scholarship.
How to apply
- Eligible applicants should complete an online scholarship application before the application deadline
- Note that you will not be able to access the online application form unless you have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh and have full EASE authentication
- If you want to apply for the scholarship, you should first apply for admission to gain enable you gain access to the University of Edinburgh scholarships application form
Deadline: application closes on February 3, 2014
Successful applications will receive their Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship result letter in April 2014.
For inquiries, Applicants are to contact
Scholarships and Student Funding Services
The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH8 9YL
Work: +44 (0)131 651 4070
Fax: +44 (0)131 651 4066
Email: [email protected]