Sheffield Hallam University is inviting applications for the Sanctuary Scholarships for undergraduate students in the 2021/2022 academic year.
The University offers two Sanctuary Scholarships per academic year (one for undergraduate and one for postgraduate study) to support talented students who have sought asylum in the UK. The scholarships are jointly funded by the University and through generous donations from former students.
The scholarships are available for eligible full time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate courses leading to a degree. If you study part-time, the scholarship will be pro-rated, according to the intensity of the course, therefore the maximum durations stated above will be increased proportionately.
Worth of Award
The undergraduate scholarship includes:
- A full-tuition fee waiver for the length of the course, up to a maximum of four years.
- Funding of £4,000 for living costs per year of the course, up to a maximum of four years
The postgraduate scholarship includes:
- a full tuition fee waiver for the length of the course, up to a maximum of 18 months
- funding of £4,000 for living costs per year of the course, up to a maximum of 18 months
You are eligible to apply for the scholarship if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are currently residing in the UK
- You are an asylum-seeker or have been granted temporary leave as a result of an asylum application or a human rights application, or you are dependant of any of the above status groups
- You have accepted an offer from Sheffield Hallam University as your firm choice and are planning to start an eligible course* in September of the next academic year
- You are not eligible for tuition fee or maintenance loans from Student Finance England (Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) at the start of the course
How to Apply
- Once you have confirmed your offer from Sheffield Hallam University as your firm choice, you should fill in and submit your Sanctuary Scholarship application form. You will need to attach all of the following items listed below. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.Evidence of your current immigration status
- A statement from an eligible referee
- A personal statement
They will assess your application on the:
- Strength of the personal statement and reference
- The commitment of the applicant to undertake and complete studies at Sheffield Hallam University
- Clarity of the applicant’s future plans
The deadline to apply is June 13, 2021.