The World Bank Group is offering the Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP) for professionals with various academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC and MIGA in 2020.
The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across theur institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
The WBG YPP is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA. Young Professionals (YPs) start the program in Washington, DC, where they engage in intensive training—on-the-job and in the classroom—learning the fundamentals of leadership and development operations across institutions, and how to identify opportunities for joint impact.
Worth of Award
- Professional Experience YPs are full-time employees, making significant contributions to their respective unit’s work program while building networks and knowledge across the Bank Group through the YPP.
- Leadership Development Through the WBG YPP curriculum, YPs develop the foundational knowledge to contribute to our business and the competencies to lead.
- Training on WBG Policies, Products & Operations YPs engage in intensive training on the policies, products and operations of the World Bank, IFC and MIGA.
- Global Rotations across WBG YPs participate in at least one rotation within their home institution, with some engaging in additional rotations to another institution, with the goal of developing and applying skills across the business.
- Coaching & Mentoring YPs are assigned several mentors at the peer and departmental level.
- Networking Events In addition to the program orientation and graduation ceremonies, the WBG YPP office organizes regular events for YPs to stay in touch with program alumni, stakeholders and broader WBG staff.
- Management Supported Rotations & Job Placements YPs are provided management-level support in their transitions to rotations and post-YPP job placements, ensuring their skills are best placed across the business.
- The WBG YPP offers a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract. Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines.
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1988
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Be fluent in English
- The Bank’s Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
Graduate degree requirements:
- For WB placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by June 30, 2020 or a PhD before September 2021. Field of study should be related to a World Bank Business Area.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree before September 2021. Field of study should be related to an IFC or MIGA Business Area, including but not limited to: a Master’s of Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations, Science and Engineering.
- **Professional experience requirements:
- For WB placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement, communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant sector trends
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
How to Apply
The Application is online, you would need to submit:
- Academic Credentials*
- 2 Short Essays
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations**
Deadline: Applications for the inaugural WBG YPP cohort are open from June 1 – June 30 for all profiles and will reopen from August 17 – September 21 for IFC and MIGA profiles only.