The Cecil Renaud Educational and Charitable Trust invites applications for the Overseas Scholarship for South Africans in the 2020/21 academic session, in the UK.
Dr Cecil Renaud, a well-known Durban Philanthropist, established The Cecil Renaud Educational and Charitable Trust in 1988. Dr Renaud passed away on 3 June 1993 and bequeathed the residue of his estate to the Trust. Shortly after the Trust became active, the trustees established the Overseas Scholarship.
The Overseas Scholarship, granted annually to one or two students, is awarded for a maximum of two years for post-graduate study (Masters degree (or equivalent) or PhD) in the United Kingdom at a university of the student’s choice.
Since 1994, they have awarded 29 scholarships to the best and brightest young South Africans.
In past years students who have been awarded the Scholarship have attended, inter alia, the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford and the University of London across a wide range of disciplines.
Worth of Award
- This is a full scholarship
- Applicants should have attained, or aim to achieve, undergraduate or Honours degree(s) cum laude or summa cum laude; and additionally, have achieved Dean’s Commendations and Certificates of Merit or equivalent.
- The scholarship is open to postgraduate students who have completed or are currently studying towards an Honours degree; or a four-year undergraduate degree.
- They’re looking for candidates who will have a significant impact on their field of study, and the world.
- A good track record in extracurricular activities and a drive to succeed and uplift South Africa.
- Former scholars have read towards varied fields including an MPhil in Development Studies, an MA in Applied Theology, an MSc in Mathematics and an MA in Singing.
- Applicants must have completed a major part of their secondary schooling in KwaZulu-Natal, and be under the age of 27 at the time of applying for the scholarship.
How to Apply
Deadline: Application closes on October 31, 2020.