The newly established Covenant Applied Informatics and Communication Africa Centre of Excellence (CApIC-ACE) domiciled at Covenant University under the World Bank-funded African Centre of Excellence IMPACT project (ACE-IMPACT) invites applications from Nigeria and West & Central Africa into its Masters and PhD degree programs in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biochemistry and Information & Communication Engineering (ICE) in the 2020/2021 academic year.
CApIC-ACE was established based on the urgent need to build a critical mass of indigenous African scientists with the necessary bioinformatics, molecular biology, and information & communications engineering knowledge and skills to drive and sustain impactful researches in the areas of malaria, prostate and breast cancer as well as cloud & high-performance computing as related to personalized medicine, in collaboration with academic, clinical and industrial institutions in Nigeria, West Africa, Africa, Germany, France, US and UK. Our collaborators have a track record of successful research, training, innovation and technology transfer.
CApIC-ACE is built on the existing infrastructure and personnel as well as externally-funded research projects for malaria and FEDGEN (NIH H3ABioNet, NIH WASLITBRe and German Science Foundation (aka DFG) being run by CUBRe) and cancer (CaPTC) at Covenant University. It hopes to evolve a Federated Genomic (FEDGEN) cloud infrastructure (with in-memory computing and cloud AI capabilities) customized to process and analyze indigenous genomic data to address African health issues including health education, medication efficiency and early disease diagnosis.
Worth of Award
- Sponsorship and intense 3 months English Language Training (for French-speaking applicants) will be available for successful applicants.
- Master’s degree programs: Second Class Upper (3.5 CGPA or its equivalent) in the relevant fields of study from any recognized University in Nigeria, West or Central Africa.
- PhD degree programs: Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees from any recognized University in Nigeria, West or Central Africa.
- Candidates must have a minimum CGPA of 4.0 on a 5.0 scale or its equivalent in M.Sc./M.Eng/M.Tech and a minimum CGPA of 3.5 (second class upper) in the Bachelor’s degree.
How to Apply
- Send CV and motivation letter to [email protected] with email subject matter, in the format: Application for CApIC-ACE RA + FIRST NAME_LAST NAME
- Also, applicants can attach copies of their academic transcripts (Student copy) including other credentials.
Available programs in the various colleges include the following:
College of Science and Technology
- Programme: Bioinformatics
Specializations: Functional Genomics; Genome Bioinformatics; Network Biology; Population Genetics; Programming; Statistical Genetics; Systems Biology
- Programme: Computer Science
Specializations: Artificial Intelligence; Cybercrime Security/ Digital Forensic; Data Mining; Machine Learning; Mobile Computing; Networking; Software Engineering
- Specializations: Molecular Biology; Molecular Oncology and Cancer Research; Pharmacology and Medicinal Plant Research
College of Engineering
- Programme: Information and Communication Engineering
Specializations: AI in Communication Systems; Cloud and High-Performance Computing; Internet of Things (IoT) & Big Data Analytics
Deadline: Applications are ongoing