Applications are now being invited by Utrecht University for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship for 2014/2015, which offers a number of highly talented prospective international undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a selected number of fields at the University.
The scholarship duration is a maximum of two years for a Master’s degree and three years for a Bachelor’s degree. Approximately 55 scholarships are awarded each year. The scholarship will only be renewed for the second (and third) year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
Worth of Awards
- Selected students can be awarded a scholarship that covers the tuition fee and 10,000 euro living expenses per year.
- However, students should be aware that the grant is not necessarily a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely.
- As one of the requirements for being granted a residence permit in the Netherlands, students from abroad must prove to the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office) that they have sufficient financial means.
International Bachelor’s programmes:
- Economics and Business Economics
- Liberal Arts & Sciences at University College Utrecht
International Master’s programmes offered by the following Graduate Schools:
- Graduate School of Geosciences
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
- Graduate School of Life Sciences
- Graduate School of Natural Sciences
- Graduate School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this scholarship. The applicant should:
- Not have the Dutch or an EU/EEA nationality;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary school diploma;
- Have been admitted to an International Master’s programme within one of the Graduate Schools mentioned above, the Bachelor’s programme in Economics and Business Economics or to University College Utrecht;
- Hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree (for a Master’s programme) or secondary school diploma (for a Bachelor’s programme), or an equivalent thereof;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa;
How to Apply
- You must first apply to the University for admission
- It is not possible to apply for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship.
- The selection committee of the programme will select eligible candidates on the basis of the selection criteria mentioned above.
- The selected candidates will be offered an Utrecht Excellence Scholarship at the latest in May.
- Note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarships.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field of study;
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidenced, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter (academic content, intercultural and communication skills, personal motivation);
- The quality and feasibility of the financial plan in the application;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Deadline: You do not need to apply directly for the scholarship. Scholarship recipients are selected from admitted students so apply for admission and they will also consider you for a scholarship.
Prospective Bachelor’s students in Economics and Business Economics who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before April 1, 2014.
Prospective Master’s students who wish to be considered for the scholarship should apply for admission before December 1, 2013.