The University of Pretoria in South Africa invites applications for the NRF Postgraduate Scholarships in 2022/23 academic session.
The National Research Foundation (NRF) is mandated by an Act of Parliament, the NRF Act
(Act No. 23 of 1998, amended) to: “contribute to national development by promoting and
supporting research through funding, human resource development and the provision of the necessary research facilities, in order to facilitate the creation of knowledge, innovation and development in all fields of research, including indigenous knowledge and thereby contributing to the improvement of the quality of life of all the people of the Republic.” In giving effect to its mandate, the NRF is guided by a Transformation Framework that identifies the specific need to focus on the transformation of the equity profiles of the South African research workforce; of the knowledge enterprise; of the relationship between science and society; and the building of a diverse and fully inclusive learning organisation.
Transformation of the equity profiles of the South African research workforce is reliant on the ability to attract, nurture and retain high academic achievers in the system to pursue
postgraduate studies up to the doctoral level.
The NRF is prioritising postgraduate students with research inclination as part of a national drive to grow the next generation of researchers and scholars to sustain South Africa’s knowledge enterprise. Another objective is to fast-track the development of postgraduate students in high-impact, priority and vulnerable disciplines critical for national socio-economic development. The NRF is, therefore, implementing a new Postgraduate Funding Policy wherein postgraduate funding allocations will be underpinned by the principles of equity of opportunity; representivity; prioritisation; and enhanced access, success and throughput.
Worth of Award
- Successful applicants will be funded either at FCS or PCS.
- The FCS will cover tuition, accommodation, living allowance, meal allowance and a once-off allowance for study resource material such as an electronic device.
- The PCS will cover tuition and accommodation costs only
- Postgraduate student funding will be made for full-time honours, masters, and doctoral degrees only.
- Please read the documents on the website for full eligibility criteria
How to Apply
Applications may be completed on the NRF Online Submission System. Applicants are advised to complete their applications soon after the call opened to prevent IT system overload nearer the closing date.
- Completed applications are sent to the host institution for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered (Please refer to the NRF Framework documents for details on eligibility criteria
- Please contact the NRF Bursaries Office at Hatfield Campus, Graduate Centre,
Room 1-85 or [email protected] if you have any queries.
Deadline: Applications at UP close December 31, 2021