The Graduate School for the Humanities at the University of Groningen (RUG) invites applications for 4 PhD Scholarships in culture studies in the 2021/22 academic session.
As a PhD candidate, you are committed to conducting independent and original scientific research, to report on this research in international publications and presentations, and to present the final results of the research in a PhD dissertation. They invite you to design your own research project related to the research in one of ICOG’s five research centres.
Before you apply you have gained the signed approval from an intended supervisor, i.e. a full professor or an associate professor with ius promovendi at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen. By signing this form s/he agrees to supervise you, based on your CV and research proposal. This is a necessary precondition for the consideration of your application.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship is paid in monthly instalments in accordance with the taxation scheme of a fictitious employment contract.
- The UG/UMCG withholds income tax and social security contributions.
- The amount of the scholarship is set so that students receive approximately €1841 net per month (amount as of September 2019).
They are looking for talented and ambitious researchers in the relevant focus areas within ICOG.
Your qualifications are:
- a completed master’s degree related to one of the five focus areas mentioned above, with an excellent academic record (MA thesis grade: min. 8/10)
- proven research abilities and affinity with the research topic
- being result-oriented
- excellent command of English and excellent academic writing skills
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with good organizational and communication skills
- willingness to participate actively in the activities of one of ICOG’s five research centres.
How to Apply
You may apply for this opportunity by using the application form.
Please send your entire application (in English) as a single PDF-file until the deadline as a ‘letter of motivation’ attachment, by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ below on the advertisement on the university website), and follow the exact order below, when uploading your documents into one file.
The submission should contain the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, describing your motivation to conduct scientific research, and locating your research within one of the research groups
- The signed approval of the intended promotor via form:
- A full CV demonstrating academic excellence, including publications and presentations (if applicable), and a copy of the data page of your passport
- A certified copy or scan of your MA diploma (or equivalent) and academic record. Applications of candidates who have not yet finished their MA degree are not eligible.
- A research proposal, focusing on the central research question to be addressed and the proposed method of approaching and answering this question (no more than (!) 1500 words, tables and references excluded, and a project title), according to the format
- Names and contact details of two academic references.
- For questions regarding the submission procedure, please contact Drs M.R.B. Wubbolts, by email: [email protected]
Deadline: Application is open until Thursday, May 6, 11:59 pm / before Friday 7 May 2021 Dutch local time.