The African Centre for Migration & Society (ACMS) at the University of the Witwatersrand offers MA and PhD scholarships in collaboration with DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) as part of its ‘In-Region Scholarship Programme South Africa’, in the 2021/2022 academic session.
The African Centre for Migration & Society (ACMS) is Africa’s leading scholarly institution for research and teaching on human mobility. Established in 1993, ACMS is an independent, interdisciplinary and internationally engaged institution focusing on the relationships among human movement politics, poverty, and social transformation.
DAAD will make the final decisions and administer the scholarships. ACMS is in charge of the first phase of the application process which involves pre-selecting and shortlisting candidates. ACMS will submit the shortlist to DAAD for the second phase of the application process and final decisions.
Worth of Award
The scholarship is fully funded
For the pre-selection, ACMS will use the following eligibility criteria. Applicants:
- Must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country (excluding South Africa);
- Must have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application;
- MA applicants must have an Honours degree or equivalent with a total aggregate mark of at least 65%;
- PhD applicants must have an MA degree with a total aggregate mark of at least 70%;
- Must have been accepted to study for MA/PhD in Migration and Displacement at ACMS
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Applications should include:
- A cover letter summarising qualifications, professional experience and reasons for interest in the Migration and Displacement programme;
- A complete CV;
- Copies of transcripts and degree certificates;
- SAQA evaluation (for foreign qualifications);
- A short research proposal (1500 words maximum) outlining the proposed research project;
- A writing sample of not more than 10,000 words (e.g., a chapter; article; term paper).
- Email all queries and application materials to: [email protected]
Deadline: Applications are due midnight, April 30, 2021. Late applications will not be considered.