The Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong invites applications from prospective candidates for the 2014/15 Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). The scholarship aims to attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s institutions. More than 200 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2014/15 academic year. Institutions in Hong Kong normally start their academic year in September.
Worth of Awards
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$240,000 (approximately US$30,000)
- and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (approximately US$1,300) per year to each awardee for a period of up to three years.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete their PhD studies, additional support may be provided by the chosen institutions. For details, please contact the institutions concerned directly.
Candidates who are seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight institutions, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Institute of Education
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
How to Apply
- An initial application is the first step in making an application under HKPFS. The initial application must be submitted through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System. The system will assign a HKPFS Reference Number which an applicant needs to quote in their application for admission to their selected institutions.
- Appplicants are to then proceed to apply directly to the proposed institution. Please ensure that you have attained a HKPFS Reference Number assigned for your initial application, and quote the Reference Number when applying to your proposed institutions.
- Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of studies, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas: Sciences, Medicine, Engineering and Technology and Humanities, Social Sciences and Business Studies
While candidates’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
Deadline: Applicants must submit their initial applications through the HKPFSES before the deadline on December 2, 2013 at 12:00 noon Hong Kong Time.
- Application deadlines for some of the institutions may immediately follow that for the initial applications, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit full applications to institutions.
- Deadlines for submitting full application via chosen institutions are listed as follows:
City University of Hong Kong : December 10, 2013
Hong Kong Baptist University : December 2, 2013
Lingnan University : December 3, 2013
The Chinese University of Hong Kong : December 2, 2013
The Hong Kong Institute of Education : December 5, 2013
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University : December 5, 2013
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology : December 4, 2013
The University of Hong Kong: December 2, 2013
Click here for more details and to apply online