The Africa Awards for Entrepreneurship programme recognizes and rewards business leaders who serve as role models to Africa’s aspiring entrepreneurs and who demonstrate business excellence, innovation and profitability.
From the Longitude Prize in the 18th century to Alfred Nobel’s laureate awards at the start of the 20th century, the power of prize programmes to catalyze innovation and inspiration is undeniable. Such prizes serve a purpose beyond recognition and reward alone – also raising awareness, creating role models and igniting ambition. The Africa Awards for Entrepreneurship is honoured to provide a platform upon which they may continue to inspire a new generation of African entrepreneurs.
Objectives of the Africa Awards
- To promote the value of entrepreneurship as a driving force of today’s Africa
- To celebrate the standards of business excellence within Africa
- To encourage small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs to embrace the challenges and rewards of entrepreneurship
- To build strong networks of African entrepreneurs as a source of learning and sharing of best practice
- To attract more venture capital inflows towards good businesses across Africa
An international panel of leading business experts, employing a rigorous and transparent selection process, will judge the Africa Awards. Winning companies will be selected on their ability to operate truly sustainable and innovative businesses, and will demonstrate excellence in:
- Overall profitability, return on investment and growth;
- Long-term business strategy;
- Leadership, culture and values;
- Investment in employees;
- Innovating to address a market need;
- Making a contribution to the community;
- Entry is open to all firms that have sales between US$ 1 million to $15 million
- have been profitable for at least two years
- are independent (not a subsidiary of a larger organization)
- have more than 10 employees
- and are fully registered in their home country and free of legal actions
- Small and medium sized, for-profit enterprises who are headquartered in Africa may apply
- All entries should be quoted in US dollars at the prevailing rate
- It is not open to only for-profit entities
- You can choose to apply as the holding company or as a single entity as long as the Africa Awards criteria are met
- Please note that local subsidiaries of non-Africa-headquartered company are not eligible to compete.
Mode of Application
Due to the high volume of applications we require all entries to be submitted online. We are unable to guarantee the processing of applications sent by mail or fax. If you have questions please send an email to [email protected]
How to Apply
You will have to answer 9 simple questions that immediately determine whether your company meets the basic eligibility criteria. You can then choose to continue with the full application, or to save your details and complete your entry later, or close your application. The application link is below.
Deadline: Midnight Central Africa Time on August 24, 2011.
The Gala Awards Banquet and CONVERGENCE: AFRICA conference on entrepreneurship will take place on December 8, 2011 in Nairobi, Kenya.
If you have further questions about applying, you may address them to [email protected]
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.