The Economics Department at Ghent University (Belgium) invites applications for a research assistant or doctoral student applying Bayesian statistical methods to research questions at the intersection of decision making, behavioural economics, and development economics.in the 2020/21 academic session.
The position entails applying Bayesian hierarchical models to the analysis of field data on decision making, oftentimes in developing country settings
The position is initially offered for one year. Upon positive evaluation, the research assistant is encouraged to stay on for a 4 year PhD project under the supervision of Prof. Ferdinand Vieider.
Worth of Award
- The position comes with a monthly scholarship of approximately €2.070 (net), social security (health insurance and pension contributions), end-of-year and holiday bonus, travel and computer equipment resources, and other benefits.
- Candidates should hold a master degree in statistics or mathematics, be familiar with Bayesian hierarchical modelling, and should have an interest in applying these methods to questions in economics and decision making.
- They should belong to the top 10% of their class.
- Candidates with a master degree in economics or psychology will also be considered if they can show a strong quantitative background and knowledge of Bayesian statistics. Familiarity with software packages R and Stan are highly desirable.
- Familiarity with cloud computing and working with server clusters are an asset.
- The position is research-focused.
- The working language is English.
How to Apply
- Applications should be sent as one pdf-document to Prof. Ferdinand Vieider ([email protected]) with reference “Research Assistant in Bayesian Statistics”, and should include a cover letter, CV, details of the master courses taken (including grades) and, if available, some examples of research work (e.g., a master thesis).
- Two reference letters should be sent directly by the advisors to [email protected]
- For more information, contact Prof Ferdinand Vieider at [email protected]
- Applications will be considered as they arrive, and until the position is filled. The starting date is flexible and subject to discussion.
Deadline: Applications close on June 30, 2020.