The Montreal General Hospital Foundation offers the Code Life Ventilator Challenge To design a low-cost, simple, easy-to-use and easy-to-build ventilator that can serve the COVID patients, in an emergency timeframe in 2020.
Worth of Award
- The winning design will then be made available for download and production, anywhere in the world.
- Award is CAD $200,000
- The goal is To design a low-cost, simple, easy to use and easy to build ventilator that can serve COVID patients, in an emergency timeframe.
- It should be easy to build locally, must be easy to verify its functionality, and must meet the design requirements specified here.
- Three finalists will be selected and their designs will be available to download for free.
- Their priority is to create an environment that fosters collaboration to allow the best possible designs to see the light of day.
- As such, they are committed to accompany the teams as they work towards meeting the challenge requirements by providing them with technical, engineering, materials and compliance experts who will actively support them in their project.
- Each team must include at least one relevant medical professional with publicized credentials (proof of right to practice) and one relevant technical/engineering professional with credentials to approve safety requirements
- Each team member must provide a short resume of qualifications relevant to the design (e.g. engineering degree, industry experience, other relevant experience)
- Each team is responsible for having at least one team representative on our communication platform to answer failure reports and end-user questions
- This should be maintained throughout the contest and beyond, as long as implementation of the device exists for COVID
- Other communication means must be provided and kept up to date for later needs (email etc.) in case of a future crisis
Capacity and costs
- Each team must have local capacity to produce, test, and demonstrate the performance of their design in accordance with the specifications.
- Costs of design and prototyping are to be covered by the contestants
How to Apply
- To motivate participation from local manufacturers, encourage participants to submit provisional patents prior to the announcement of final designs, while granting license to local builders to manufacture their designs during the COVID crisis.
- Aspiring team members are encouraged to reach out to teams that are already signed-up and looking to recruit members to complement their skills.
Deadline: Deliverables will be accepted from March 17th, 2020, 23:59 EST to March 31st, 2020, 23:59 EST.