Facebook and Andela offers the #BuildforSDG challenge to up-skill developers across Sub-Saharan Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria and South-Africa) through a six-week immersive program where selected developers will work in agile remote teams to innovate on projects relating to the SDGs, in 2020
The #BuildForSDG program is committed to helping empower you to build real-world, locally and relevant solutions focused on the Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs) while gaining skills you need to advance your career. With a goal to engage 7.5k developers, #BuildforSDG challenge will give developers real-world experience working on high-value, high-impact projects to help improve their market-readiness.
Andela invests in Africa’s most talented software engineers to help companies solve the technical talent shortage and build high-performing distributed engineering teams. In addition, Andela has tested and proven learning science principles relating to small learner groups, transparent output tracking, and robust support communities to up-skill developers across Africa.
Developer Circles from Facebook is a program designed to create locally organized communities for developers. These communities are meant to educate and provide a forum for discussion and knowledge sharing around topics that are top-of-mind for developers in a particular market.
Worth of Award
- Get to work on projects that matter; add high value and high impact project to your portfolio
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds on the planet
- Access to employment opportunities through the Andela Market place.
- Oh, and a chance to help change the world!
- The top 3 projects will win value added prizes.
- You should be able to commit 15+ hours per week.
- You must have at least one year of technical experience and have a working knowledge of front-end, back-end, or full-stack development.
- You must be a member of a Facebook Developer Circle.
- You should be located in Ghana, Kenya, Cameroon, Nigeria, Uganda, and South-Africa.
- You should have reliable access to a functional work tool.
- You should be excited to work with/in a distributed team.
- You have a strong passion for technology.
- To apply you must be excited to learn with fellow developers through a community and be a strong team player.
How to Apply
You can apply or nominate by filling out the form on their website
Deadline: Application deadline for Cohort 1 is March 30th, 2020. Applications beyond that date will be placed in the pool for subsequent cohorts.