Sun Yat-sen University offers the Chinese Government Scholarships “Sino-US Degree-study Scholarship” in China for the 2020/2021 academic year.
In order to attract more outstanding American students, the “Sino-US Degree-study Scholarship” has been set up by the Ministry of Education of China. As one of the host institutions of the Chinese Government Scholarships, SYSU is entrusted to undertake the enrollment of this scholarship for bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, and PhD programs
Worth of Award
- Tuition fee
- On-campus accommodation fee
- Living allowance: 2,500 RMB/month/person for bachelor’s programs; 3,000 RMB/month/person for master’s programs; 3,500 RMB/month/person for doctoral programs
- Overall Insurance and Benefit Plan
Note: If there is any change in the funding standards above, the standards released by the China Scholarship Council in 2020 shall prevail.
- Applicants should meet the requirements of the 2020 Sun Yat-sen University International Students (Bachelor’s Degree) Admission Guide, the 2020 Sun Yat-sen University International Students (Master’s Degree) Admission Guide and the 2020 Sun Yat-sen University International Students (PhD Degree) Admission Guide.
- Applicants for a bachelor’s degree must hold a high school degree and be under (or at) the age of 25; applicants for a master’s degree must hold a bachelor’s degree and be under (or at) the age of 35; applicants for a doctoral degree must hold a master’s degree and be under (or at) the age of 40.
How to Apply
- Online application in the Chinese Government Scholarship Information System.Please choose the “Scholarship Application for Students” to log in (Agency No. of SYSU: 10558). After submitting the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, applicants should print a hard copy with their signature on it.
- Online application in the SYSU system. Applicants are required to visit the SYSU Office of International Students’ Affairs for online application. Please choose “APPLY ONLINE” accordingly and select “Self-funded”, fill in the relevant information correctly and completely, and upload the application materials. Application materials should be the original copies in Chinese/English. If the original copy of the following materials is written in non-Chinese/English, a notarized copy in Chinese/English is required:
- Photocopy of a valid passport
- A scanned copy of the passport’s biographical page should be submitted. Applicants staying in China at the time of application should submit the visa page and entry page additionally.
- Notarized highest degree certificate
- Applicants for bachelor’s programs should submit their high school degree certificates.
- Applicants for master’s programs should submit their bachelor’s degree certificates.
- Applicants for doctoral programs should submit their master’s degree certificates.
- Applicants who are about to graduate should provide a certificate confirming their expected date of graduation issued by their school. A notarized copy of the highest degree certificate should be submitted to the International Students’ Affairs Office of SYSU on the specified registration date; failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
- Notarized academic transcripts
- Applicants for bachelor’s programs should submit their complete academic transcripts of high school studies.
- Applicants for master’s programs should submit their complete academic transcripts of bachelor’s studies.
- Applicants should submit the academic transcripts of their studies at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Those who are about to graduate should provide the academic transcripts available at the current stage. The final academic transcripts should be resubmitted before the enrollment day.
- Language Proficiency Certificate
- Applicants should have an HSK (level V) certificate (with 180 points or above). Applicants who complete their last degree with Chinese as the language of instruction can submit certificates of Chinese language proficiency issued by their school and can be exempted from providing HSK Certificates after SYSU’s verification.
- Photocopy of the physical examination report
- Please refer to attachment 1 for physical examination items. It should be filled out in Chinese or English with the official stamp of the hospital. Physical examination results should be valid for three months.
- Recommendation letters
- Two letters of recommendation should be signed by professors or associate professors in Chinese or English (the autograph and valid contact information should be also included).
- If the recommendation letter(s) is/are sealed, applicants can send the paper version directly to the school without uploading the electronic version.
- A plan for studying in China
- The plan should be written in Chinese or English with a minimum of 800 words. If applicants have published papers, the abstracts of their works should be enclosed with other application materials.
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship
- The signed and scanned copy of the application form should be uploaded.
- Commitment letter
- Applicants should read the Commitment Letter (attachment 2) carefully and sign by themselves at the signature blank before uploading the scanned copy.
Deadline: Application closes March 30th, 2020