Youthlead is currently inviting applications for its Turning Point Contest for Young Changemakers in the USA in 2020.
Participate in the “YouthLead 2020 Turning Point Contest for Young Changemakers” and showcase your work globally! As a young changemaker, this YouthLead contest provides you with a unique platform to share your personal experience and creative voice. And, you could win a cash prize!
They invite written submissions, in the form of a personal essay or poem, that tells a powerful story about one important turning point you have experienced as a young changemaker. A turning point can be a moment in your life when you felt inspired, motivated, empowered, or enabled by a person, a place, or an event to begin working for change in your community. A community can be defined as a group of people you share common attitudes, interests, and goals with, at the local, district, national, or global level, or in another way that makes sense to each author.
Worth of Award
- Each language category will be judged separately.
- First and second place prizes will be awarded to the top two winners in each language category (English, Spanish and French).
- Third through sixth place in each language category will receive honourable mentions.
- All awardees will be featured on the YouthLead.org platform.
- 1st Place Winner – a one-time monetary prize of $200 and work featured on YouthLead.org.
- 2nd Place Winner – a one-time monetary prize $100, and work featured on YouthLead.org.
- 3rd – 6th Place Honorable Mentions – work featured on YouthLead.org.
The competition is open to all members of the public who are:
- Citizens of low-and middle-income countries (LMICs) as listed on their website
- Aged 18-35 and
- Members of YouthLead with a member profile that is at least 80% complete. Becoming a member of YouthLead is easy and free.
- All Entrants must be successfully registered on YouthLead. As registration may take several days to process, all YouthLead.org registration requests must be submitted at least 4 business days prior to the end of the Entry Period to ensure timely approval for entering the contest.
Other submission requirements are;
- All written submissions must be the original work of the Entrant (that is, written by the Entrant him/herself), and relate to an activity that the Entrant is directly involved as a changemaker.
- All entries must be submitted online. (Submissions in French or Spanish will also use this link. You can use “Select Language” in the upper right-hand corner on your screen to translate the submission page to French or Spanish).
- Entries that have been published on other platforms or prior publications will not be considered.
How to Apply
Register on YouthLead (go to Step 2 if you are already a member!).
- Log into YouthLead
- Enter Your Text
- Select Your Submission Category (Type)
- Select the Language in which You Submit your Entry
- Accept the Terms and Conditions and Hit Submit.
- Create your profile in English or in Spanish online. (Please note: While they allow submission of personal essays and poems in French, they do not have a separate French registration or submission page)
Deadline: applications close March 6, 2020