The University of Iowa invites applications for the International Writing Programme in 2021, tagged, “Between the lines”.
Since 2008, Between the Lines (BTL) has hosted young writers at the University of Iowa for a cultural exchange program that focuses on the art and craft of creative writing. Participants, aged 15-18, come together in Iowa City for an intensive two-week session. During the session, they live in campus dorms and spend their days in creative writing workshops and global literature seminars designed to broaden their literary horizons and deepen their empathy for and understanding of one another’s identities and stories.
BTL offers two summer sessions—Between the Lines: Peace and the Writing Experience (for students from the U.S. and 28 countries) & Between the Lines: Identity and Belonging (for students from the U.S. only).
With professional U.S. and international writers as their teachers, participants broaden their literary horizons, deepen their empathy and their understanding of one another’s cultures, and improve their communication skills. All programming is conducted in English.
Worth of Award
- For accepted international students, all fees, including travel, lodging, and meals, are waived – participation is free of charge.
- As required by the U.S. State Department, students will travel with an adult chaperone, hired by the International Writing Program, on the transcontinental flight to and from the United States.
How to Apply
- The U.S. Embassy in your home country must first agree to nominate you, and then will submit an application for you.
- You will need to provide them with the materials outlined on their website.
- These include your original creative writing in English, your responses to the two written prompts, and a statement of purpose.
- Your prepared documents must be uploaded as attachments through the application form.