The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) is offering the ANSO Scholarship 2020 for Young Talents in the 2020/21 academic session.
Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO) was initiated and established by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and other 36 scientific institutes as well as international organizations worldwide. ANSO was founded to improve regional and global capacity in science and technology, human livelihoods and wellbeing, and to promote broader S&T cooperation and communication. According to the ANSO Strategic Plan, the ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) is launched for the training and cultivation of young scientists from all over the world.
The ANSO Scholarship 2020 provides young students/scholars who are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue postgraduate education at the colleges or schools of the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of CAS around China. It consists of 2 programs: the master program and the PhD program. Every year, up to 200 master students and 300 PhD students from all over the world will be sponsored to study in CAS.
Worth of Award
- Awardees for Anso Scholarship 2020 will receive a monthly stipend from CAS through USTC/UCAS.
- Specifically, master awardees will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 3000, while PhD awardees will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 6000 or RMB 7000 depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by USTC/UCAS for all doctoral candidates after admission.
- All the awardees will also be provided with health insurance as well as tuition and application fee waivers.
- A certain amount of travel subsidy from their home countries to China will be provided to the awardees in order to begin the scholarship in China (one trip only per person).
- Any scholarship awardee on-site in China, the host country, at the time of application will NOT be eligible for any travel subsidy.
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Provide proof of proficiency of English or Chinese language;
- For master program applicants: be maximum age of 30 years on 31 December 2020;
For PhD program applicants: be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2020;
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
- Applicants currently pursuing master degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for the master program of this scholarship. Applicants currently pursuing doctoral degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship.
- Applicants CANNOT apply for both UCAS and USTC simultaneously.
- Applicants can ONLY apply to ONE supervisor from ONE institute/school at either UCAS or USTC.
How to Apply
In order to successfully apply for the ANSO Scholarship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated below:
- You should verify that you are eligible and meet ALL the eligibility criteria specified in the “General conditions for applicants” section of this call.
- FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS OFUSTC/UCAS, OR CAS INSTITUTES THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
- Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the master/PhD program of the ANSO Scholarship.
- FILE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AND ADMISSION APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE APPLICATION SYSTEMS.
- Visit their official website for the ANSO Scholarship online application system. Please create your own account, and fill in the basic information. The system will lead you to the admission application system of USTC/UCAS.
- Prepare the following supporting documentation:
- Copy of your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
- Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
- Original copy of the certificate of university degrees held
- For master program applicants: Bachelor’s degree certificate. Applicants having just completed or about to complete their Bachelor degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating their expected graduation date;
- For PhD program applicants: both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates; Applicants having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date.
Original copy of transcripts of
- For master program applicants: undergraduate education;
- For PhD program applicants: both undergraduate and post-graduate education.
TWO reference letters:
- Reference letters in the body of e-mails will NOT be accepted!
- Detailed research proposal;
- Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers (if available);
- Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Attachment 1)
- Visit the USTC online admission system or UCAS online admission system. Follow its instructions and upload all the above-mentioned supporting documentation.
Deadline: Applications for Anso Scholarship 2020 close on March 31, 2020.