The London School of Health Tropical and Medicine (LSHTM) invites applications for the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Scholarships for African students to study in the university in the 2021/2022 academic session.
The Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentship scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science degrees in any area of health.
A Doctoral Studentship is usually for three years, although they consider requests to undertake PhDs on a part-time basis (for example, if someone has family commitments or intends to keep up another career for sufficient hours to maintain a professional accreditation).
Worth of Award
- Funding covers tuition fees, a stipend, and research expenses, and is usually available for 3 years (FTE).
In order for LSHTM to approve an application on the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker the following requirements must be met:
- Offer of Admission for a research degree at LSHTM
- The applicant must hold an offer of admission for the same study as the research project outlined in the funding application at least one week before the Wellcome Trust deadline at the latest.
- Research Proposal Review
- The 2,500-word research proposal on the Wellcome Trust application must have been reviewed by at least one senior LSHTM academic. The review should be completed at least two weeks before the Wellcome Trust deadline.
- The research proposal on the Wellcome Trust application must be for the same research as the application for study to LSHTM.
- The applicant’s proposed supervisors must be the same supervisors listed on an offer of admission for study.
- Budget review
- Applicants should discuss budget costs for training, fieldwork, conference attendance etc with their proposed supervisor/s to ensure that all relevant costs are included, and costed appropriately.
- Applicants should contact the Scholarships team by email to request that this review be done (once the draft is ready).
- Final amendment and review
- The LSHTM Scholarships team is unable to approve any applications that have not followed the above steps within the timelines set.
How to Apply
- Applicants should carefully read through all the information available on the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships web page.
- To apply applicants must use the Wellcome Trust online grants system (Grant Tracker).
- However, applicants should note that the Scholarships Team at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) must approve any applications for the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships where LSHTM is noted as the ‘administering organisation’, and therefore there are a number of LSHTM requirements which will need to be met in advance of the official Wellcome Trust deadline.
They encourage applicants to:
- liaise with their proposed supervisors as soon as possible as there are a number of steps in the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships application which the supervisor/s will need to facilitate and/or support; and
- read carefully through the Wellcome Trust guidance before starting an application on the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker, paying particular attention to the information to be included in the research proposal and the budget.
Deadline: The Wellcome Trust’s deadline is 17:00 (GMT) March 2, 2021. Internal deadline for application of research degree is January 24, 2021.