Charles Koch Institute in the USA is currently offering the Poynter-Koch Media and Journalism Fellowship in USA 2020 for journalists and storytellers. The fellowship program begins with the opening summit June 2020, in Washington, D.C.
Journalists and storytellers discover and then report what is fact — and what is not. They shine light on inaccuracies and injustice, adopting a role as the ultimate stone kickers and sceptics. They inspire and educate with stories that explain, provoke, and expose the world around us. In doing so, the press builds a foundation of trust and mutual understanding that is essential for progress in all its forms.
The Poynter-Koch Media and Journalism Fellowship’s curriculum is designed to address not only the hard skills of reporting and storytelling techniques but also the pillars of First Amendment law, foundations of a free press, and the core values that underpin public service journalism.
While bringing differing perspectives from varying roles and newsrooms, Poynter-Koch fellows share common ground: a commitment to the ideals and values of journalism. The power of the program comes not from the curriculum but from the diversity of fellows’ perspectives.
Worth of Award
- As a finalist for the Poynter Koch Media Journalism Fellowship, you’ll have the opportunity to find placement as a paid, full-time journalist at a participating news outlet, joining colleagues who are passionate about journalism and the critical role of the free press in society.
- You’ll learn from each other, on the job, and from a robust, real-world curriculum presented by seasoned, professional journalists.
- The fellowship program provides a salary stipend to the employer of 60 per cent of salary up to a maximum award of $50,000 per fellow.
- You are passionate about journalism and telling inspiring stories, but you know there is more to learn and want to sharpen your skills.
- You’re a hard-worker and self-motivated.
- You understand the importance of free expression and the role of the press in society.
- You describe yourself as a life-long learner.
- You work well independently but also enjoy collaborating with others.
- You know there are media outlets that can benefit from your knowledge and skills.
Knowledge and Skills, You’ll Bring to the fellowship:
- Champions of a free press and a passion for storytelling
- Eager learner with a growth mindset, open to continual self-improvement
- One to three years of experience in media and/or journalism
How to Apply
You would provide online a Résumé and written responses of 200 words or less for each of the following questions:
- Describe what freedom of the press means to you and its ideal role in society?
- Describe a story you covered or read that challenged your thinking?
- Describe something media has done to either positively or negatively impact society within the last 50 years?
- Describe what inspires you to be a storyteller?
Deadline: The application for Poynter Koch Media Journalism Fellowship ends on February 28, 2020