Applications are now sought from African women in STEM related courses by the WAAW Foundation for the 2014 WAAW scholarships. WAAW (Working to Advance African Women) foundation’s annual scholarship initiative is aimed at supporting need based African female STEM-focused college education.
WAAW Foundation awards annual scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full time students in a STEM related course in an African University. Recipients will become WAAW Ambassadors in their respective communities.
Worth of Awards
Scholarship recipients receive an award of $500 for the 2014 academic year, or the equivalent in their country’s local currency. Prior scholarship recipients may reapply for renewal the following year, with proof of continued excellent academic performance.
Please read the eligibility criteria before you apply. All non qualifying applications will be automatically deleted! Criteria for eligibility include:
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate degree program.
- Studying STEM related courses in a University or college in Africa.
- Demonstrable financial need, and
- Excellent Academic Record.
- Below the age of 32 years.
- Please note that they do not fund graduate (masters, MBA or phd) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses or Diploma degrees.
How to Apply
Before you apply, you are to click their Facebook page and like them. You are strongly encouraged to like their facebook page to be considered for the scholarship! Visit the WAAW foundation web site (link provided below) and complete the application form online. Follow the application instructions carefully. You must finish your application in one sitting. You will be required to write essays on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals.
- They also require two letters of recommendation, from academic mentors and or job supervisors.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be required to mail current University transcripts directly to WAAW Foundation by November 30, 2013.
- Application documents must be submitted electronically via their online forms. They will not be accepting paper applications this year. All applicants are strongly encouraged to follow them on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/waawfoundation
- Application form filled out completely. They will only accept online applications this year. NO PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED*. Your application will include the following:
- For further information or inquiries please email:
- Personal and Contact Information.
- Educational Information
- Responses to essay questions that address career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in your education.
- Two academic/professional references. Note recommendations and transcripts ARE NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME. ONLY after a candidate has been shortlisted.
- Submitting your application: Please complete all sections of the application form and submit all required materials to WAAW foundation by the deadline. Application may be completed online.
- ONLY Shortlisted candidates will be required to send the following additional items in order to complete this process.
- 2 references; one MUST be written by a professor from your institution of study and the other from an academic supervisor/advisor or mentor. Reference forms should be downloaded
- A copy of a current signed and sealed transcript from your University to be mailed to:
WAAW Foundation Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1691, Wylie. Texas 75098.
*Scanned copies of transcripts may be emailed prior to originals arriving.
- A copy of the student’s School identity card must be scanned and emailed to them.
Deadline: Applications are due on or before 12 midnight on October 31, 2013
Click here for more details and to apply
Click here to download reference form
Email completed reference form to [email protected]