The International Council of Ophthalmologists and the National Eye Institute are offering the ICO-National Eye Institute One Year Fellowship in Ocular Genetics.
In collaboration with the National Eye Institute (National Institute of Health) in Bethesda, USA, the ICO-National Eye Health Institute One Year Fellowship in Ocular Genetics. Eligible candidates are invited to apply for a twelve months training in Ocular Genetics which will be served at NEI/NIH.
One of the primary goals and commitments of the ICO is to enhance ophthalmic education to improve eye care and contribute to the preservation and restoration of vision around the world. To fulfil this commitment, the ICO offers educational programs and initiatives to invigorate and support ophthalmic education, especially in developing countries
Worth of Award
US$25,000 to help cover living expenses and return travel.
- Applicant must reside in a low-resource country.
- He or she must be a graduate of an ophthalmology residency training program.
- Specialist exam in ophthalmology must be successfully passed.
- Applicant must be recommended by the ophthalmology head of a teaching institution or public service hospital in a developing country.
- He or she must be committed to returning to a position at a teaching institution or public service hospital in the fellow’s home country.
- The ICO recommends that candidates pass one or more ICO exams. They consider this in the assessment of applications.
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration.
How to Apply
Please be sure to check the eligibility requirements for the specific fellowship for which you are applying. You will need to create an ICO Account if you do not already have one.
Applicants are expected to return to their home country upon completion of the fellowship.
- Select a Fellowship: After identifying your country, the ICO Fellowship(s) you are eligible for will be shown.
- Complete Eligibility Check: You will be asked to provide information in order to determine if you are eligible to receive the selected ICO Fellowship.
- ICO Eligibility Review: After your information is submitted to the ICO your eligibility will be determined. You will be notified of the decision and asked to complete the application or informed that you are not eligible.
- Apply to a Host Training Center: If you are eligible, you will select and apply to a host. Please note that you may only apply to one host at a time.
- Host Application Review: Your request will be reviewed by the host you have selected. If accepted, you will need to confirm details agreed upon between you and the host. If your request is declined, you will need to select another host.
- Fellowship Application Submitted: You will be notified that your application is complete and will be reviewed by the appropriate ICO Fellowship Committee.
Deadline: The application deadline is September 30, 2020